Red Velvet Cupcakes

Baking By cab333 Updated 5 Sep 2010 , 5:36pm by SandiOh

cab333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cab333 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 15

Hi Everyone,

I am curious to know if anyone has a Red Velvet Recipe that they may care to share? I recently tried one, and just was not happy with the results. Red Velvet is all the craze these days, and this was my FIRST time eating one...never mind baking them. The flavour just didnt "do it" for me. So I will try again - and see if it was the recipe or if they just are not for me.

Any no-fail recipes out there?

14 replies
cab333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cab333 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 15

well...there are either some top secret recipes out there or my thinking was correct! LOL!
I did try a recipe this weekend that I found on allrecipes.com and it was much better! My only concern was that the cream cheese icing was quite "thin"....but once iced I put the cupcakes into the fridge and it firmed up pretty quickly. I am thinking perhaps next time I will try putting my icing in the fridge for a bit before piping it onto the cupcakes to get more of the shape I am looking for on the cupcakes......

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 15

Scroll down, there are 2 recipes in this link.
http://putacupcakeinit.blogspot.com/search?q=red+velvet

MadMillie Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 15
cuppacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuppacupcake Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 15

i made this recipe last night.

it's from the hummingbird bakery in london. Now i made them into mini cupcakes, but they sunk cos i opened the oven too early. but they were still delicious.

http://hummingbirdbakery.com/includes/pdf/Baking_Tips.pdf

For the Cream cheese frosting.

Makes enough to frost 12 cupcakes.

300g icing sugar, sifted
50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
125g cream cheese, cold

Beat the icing sugar and butter together in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed. Add the cream cheese in one go and beat until it is completely incorporated. Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy- for at least 5 minutes. Do not overbeat, as it can quickly become runny.

MadMillie Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 15

There is also a cream of cheese verson of Indydebi's buttercream. Mamawrobin came up with it. It woks well in hot humid weather.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 15

Try the original red velvet cake recipe from the Waldorff Astoria hotel. It uses canned red beets (NOT pickled beets). I detest beets beyond all reason, but you can't taste them in this cake. The beets add some redness so you don't have to use as much red food coloring as other RV recipes.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15519/1920s-waldorf-astoria-red-velvet-cake

My personal opinion about red velvet cake is that it's just awful. No recipe I've ever tried tastes like anything to me except just non-descript cake substance with an obscene amount of artificial food color. It doesn't have enough chocolate to make it a chocolate cake, and it doesn't really have any other flavoring. The only thing that saves it is cream cheese icing.

That said, this recipe is as good as any I've ever tried, and being able to say it's the 1920s original seems to appeal to people. You can say it's THE authentic red velvet cake.

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 15

Does anyone have Mamawrobin's cream cheese version of Indydebi's BC?

TIA
Kelley

MadMillie Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 15

I will look for it when I get home. Too hard to search for on phone.

MadMillie Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:40am
post #10 of 15
diabolicdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diabolicdesire Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:52pm
post #11 of 15

If you don't mind using a mix, the Cake Doctor has a recipe that is supper yummy

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:26am
post #12 of 15

Thanks MadMillie!!! thumbs_up.gif

thefancyladygourmet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefancyladygourmet Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 12:20am
post #13 of 15

my no fail red velvet is the martha stewart one
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/red-velvet-cupcakes
the only time ive had problems is when ive tried to cut the recipe in half but thats my fault lol

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 1:55am
post #14 of 15

If you don't mind using a mix I have had the best results using DH Red Velvet, just sub the water for whole milk and add 2 tsp of vanilla, but be very careful not to overbake, even 1 minute will make a difference.

The best cream cheese icing I've tried is from the Cake Mix Doctor, it is simply 8 oz cream cheese, 1 stick of butter, 1 box powedered sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, it is so delicious.

I personally don't see what all the RV fuss is about either, it is just a very mild chocolate cake (think german chocolate) colored red, too me its pretty tasteless. I think everyone is in love with the idea of it, but I've made so many lately (using DH) that I'm sick of it.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 5:36pm
post #15 of 15

a good Red velvet is one of those things that vary depending on what part of the country you are from and what your definition of moistness is. The cupcake doctor has a recipe that she uses starting with a german chocolate cake mix, but she also has one that starts with a white mix and is doctored up from that. They are both good.

My definition of a good red velvet has a tang from buttermilk and vinegar, but also uses butter and not oil. My blog was already linked, putacupcakeinit, and my favorite one to use is from the Pastry Queen - it's dense and moist and better on day 2.

I also prefer ermine, boiled milk, frosting on red velvet. I think cream cheese is too strong for red velvets and distracts from it's goodness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%