When To Put Flowers On Wedding Cake

Decorating By Amy061810 Updated 23 Mar 2014 , 6:56am by cornis

Amy061810 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy061810 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 15

Just wondering when is the best time to put real flowers on a wedding cake.. the morning of the wedding or just upon delivery??

14 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 15

I would say once the cake is delivered and on the table, that way you ensure they're as "fresh" as possible so they won't wilt and also because real flowers are often much heavier than silks and once they're in the cake and you move and jossle the cake around you have a greater chance at ripping the cake apart.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 15

To keep the flowers as fresh as possible, I place them during set up at the venue.
Be sure to have enough of the little plastic thingees (sorry, a bit of old timers there) to place the stems in.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 15

I have done a lot of fresh flower cakes and I can tell you that it all depends on the type of flowers. Each flower has a "cut-life". The time it can last after being cut.

It also depends on if you are making an arrangement and using floral foam or posey stick or just laying them on the cake.

I usually have ALL arrangements made and on the cake the night before the wedding. Unless cut-life is extremely small, 4-5 hours, like hydrangeas, daylilies, or magnolias.

I would suggest calling a local florist with a list of the flowers you will be using, and ask them the cut-life of them. or if you have time, experiment with them yourself.

One other thing, make sure you check that the flowers are not poisionous. icon_wink.gif

Amy061810 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy061810 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks for that info!

Also, the bride wants the flowers trailing down the cake, and I was reading online about using florists tape and wrapping around the stems so you can poke them into the cake.....is this ok?? Does it work ok??

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy061810

Thanks for that info!

Also, the bride wants the flowers trailing down the cake, and I was reading online about using florists tape and wrapping around the stems so you can poke them into the cake.....is this ok?? Does it work ok??

I agree with all the other comments but just wanted to add please don't just wrap the stems and stick straight in the cake always use a posy pick. You can wrap the stems together before putting them in the pick. You can get all different sizes hth icon_smile.gif

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 15

I've heard you can use plastic straws, just like the flower spikes. Never tried it though...

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:52am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy061810

Thanks for that info!

That is a no-no. If some one is alergic to latex, which is in floral tape, which is why it works so well, you could KILL them.

You dont want to serve any guests anaphalyatic shock cake without an epipen chaser. icon_lol.gif

The straws work great. you can use large, small, coffe sirrs, etc.. to fit your flowers, you can wrap in floral tape then insert that into the straw. Or you can insert a few flowers into the straw to make bundles, you can also fill the straw with royal icing to hold the flower in place inside it. Just a few ideas for you.

amycakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amycakes22 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:07am
post #9 of 15

I always place flowers at the venue. I'm too afraid of flowers wilting or turning brown. It works out too because should any little mistakes pop up, they're covered with flowers! icon_biggrin.gif

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:15am
post #10 of 15

Wrapping the flowers in floral tape will help to extend the "cut life" or how long they stay fresh. It does depend on they type of flower, each has a different cut life.

Roses keep very well when wrapped and so do lilies and orchids. (think of flowers you usually see in corsages, they are the ones with the better cut life) You can wrap them a couple of days before hand and keep them in a airtight container in the fridge. Just mist them with water from a spray bottle at a couple times to keep them fresh.

I would use a flower spike or a straw to insert them in the cake. It is more food safe and it helps support the weight of the flowers on the cake.

MKinPA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKinPA Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:40am
post #11 of 15

Please explain little about using straws. Do you just cut the straws the length you need, insert the flowers and insert the straw into the cake below the icing level so you don't see it? I'm sorry for the questions, I've never used the straws.

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:23am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKinPA

Please explain little about using straws. Do you just cut the straws the length you need, insert the flowers and insert the straw into the cake below the icing level so you don't see it? I'm sorry for the questions, I've never used the straws.

Yep, that's pretty much how you do it icon_smile.gif I like to cut my stems really sort and insert a wire in the base of the flower (where the stem starts) and then cover both the stem and wire with floral tape because then it is less bulky. Then just the thin wire goes in the straw instead of the bulky stem and you can fit several flowers in one straw. Sometimes it helps to put royal icing in the straw to help "glue" the flowers in place, but that isn't always necessary, it just depends on your design.

You can also wrap your flowers together into groups with the floral tape before putting on the cake. Wrap each flower/ leaf individually first and then you can wrap them together adding one at a time. This can help you make a cascading effect without needing to have very many straws or flower picks in the cake.

MKinPA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKinPA Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 7:37am
post #13 of 15

Thank you LeafO. I can't wait to try that!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 2:09pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKinPA

You can also take a lighter and burn the end of the straw slightly and pinch it together...it will form a seal and then you're guaranteed when you poke it into the cake that no cake will come in contact with the flower stems/florist tape, etc.

dipping the flower stem in a little melted chocolate and then putting inside the straw works well too (I do that mostly with greenery since the stems are really thin most times), most flower stems fit nice and snug inside a small drinking straw though.

cornis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cornis Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 6:56am
post #15 of 15

You can buy wedding bouquets online to make your wedding a memorable one. Different varieties of flower baskets are also available at reliable prices, so start shopping now.

Send Flowers to Bangalore

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%