Room Temp. Eggs??

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 10:38pm by Dayti

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 13

Hi Cakers!!! icon_biggrin.gif

For those who use room temp. eggs, how long do you leave them out for to get to the room temp?

Just curious. How long is to long?

I have left eggs out for 1 hour, and they are still chilled??

Michael

icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
samgill99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samgill99 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 13

just put them in really really hot tap water for 5 minutes and they'll be ready for use.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 13

I put them in warm water for about 2 min and they are room temp

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 13

ditto. There's never a good reason to let eggs sit out to "get to room temp." Warm water, my friend.

Mikel79 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks folks!!

icon_biggrin.gif

Michael

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 13

I just saw a segment on ask Ina. this was one of the questions. she said that it takes about 3hrs to get an egg to room temp. She said not to worry about leaving it out for that long since they are sealed icon_confused.gif . she also said that if you dont have time to put it in temp water for about 3-5 mnts.

Mikel79 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 13

I have read that the UK grocery stores DON'T store their eggs in the fridge area like the USA does.

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 13

That's true Mikel, and another thing a lot of people don't know....eggs are good for months in the fridge. Yes, months.

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

I have read that the UK grocery stores DON'T store their eggs in the fridge area like the USA does.

yes that's right. i live in Ireland and we keep our eggs at room temperature too, even at home. Although our climate isnt exactly...........non-fridge-like icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_wink.gif

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 9:47pm
post #10 of 13

I'm not sure why you are so shocked about us not keeping eggs in a fridge. Absolutely no need for it.

I keep hens, their eggs are never refridgerated and there has never been a problem.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 9:56pm
post #11 of 13

Years ago when I was a hippie, and we lived on a farm, we raised chickens for their eggs. It was a known fact that we didn't find all their eggs every day, and if the egg sat under the hen for a day before I found the egg, it was still fine.

lesliedale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesliedale Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:02pm
post #12 of 13

I have lived in France and in Australia, and the grocery stores where I shopped didn't keep eggs refrigerated...(although I know there were other stores in Australia that did refrigerate). Here in Canada we do, but I guess the regulations may be different.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:38pm
post #13 of 13

Someone mentioned once that in the US (maybe Canada too, can't remember) eggs are stored in the fridge at the supermarket because they are washed before packaging. If you wash an egg, the natural protective stuff found on the shell gets washed away, allowing the nasties into the egg.
In Europe as far as I am aware, most egg producers and supermarkets don't bother doing it (there really is no need to!), so they are sold off the shelf at room temperature though most people fridge them when they get home, by all accounts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%