Is Wednesday Morning To Early???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 6:16pm by mcbiello

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 9:39am
post #1 of 12

Hi Cakers!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I posted a similar post this week about my cake timeline. I usually bake cakes for a Saturday event on a Wednesday NIGHT. However, something has came up and I need to bake it earlier. Wednesday MORNING.

I normally do the 3 day in advance thing. NEVER fridge or freeze. Cakes are always fresh as day 1. But, is the 7-10 hour difference doing it earlier going to mess me up????? Event is Saturday evening at 5:00 pm....

WASC
Bavarina Filling (Non Perishable)
BC iced.

Thanks,
Michael
icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 12

I don't think there would be a problem, but then I got issues with this (I'm not trying to knock what anyone else does) it's just how I feel and what I do.

When I bake a few days in advance, I freeze my cakes for a day or two because I don't want the cake to sit around for that amount of days (I always think that maybe there will be leftovers especially if it's not a big event and I just don't like my cakes sitting around; I know that they're fine but that's just my thing that I go through.). If I bake on Wed. and the cake is needed for Sat., I freeze overnight. I also make my fondant on Wed. night while the cakes are baking.

I work from home so...

Early Thurs. morning, I make my icing. Late Thurs. afternoon I take cake out to thaw and I torte, fill, crumbcoat ( now I'm feel better about the cake sitting out because the cake is sealed, moisture is locked in, again this my thing) once it crusts I rewrap and let settle overnight with some weight on top. Early Fri. morning I cut out my fondant accents, cover them in plastic and place in cake box; late Fri. afternoon I ice and Fri. night I'm listening to my music as I decorate; I box it up and that's that.

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 12

IMO, I would place them in the freezer. Thursday take them out to thaw, fill, crumb coat, leave until Friday, this will allow for any settling. Friday, ice and decorate. HTH

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 12

I was just like you Mikel79...I refused to refrigerate (if not perishable) and would definitely not freeze...EVER....But a couple of months ago I had no other option due to the number of orders I had on my plate and my timeline due to the fact that I also work full-time. With anxiety....I froze, and can I just say....FREEZE your cakes. It totally helps take some of the time crunch pressure off and you can spread your work out throughout the week. I will never go back because I can do it with confidence knowing the cake does not lose freshness, the texture is the same or better when thawed, and best of all my life is easier.... I say chuck those cakes in the freezer and don't think twice!

lilykins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilykins Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 12

I, too, bake on Wednesday and always freeze my cakes. I actually think it helps to keep them moist. The only problem is in the summer they tend to sweat as they adjust to the air conditioning which is not as cold as freezer.

Mikel79 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 12

I appreciate the feedback.

I once did freeze my cakes, but don't anymore. EVERYTIME that I did, the cakes would always be "tacky" or to wet.

They would always be complelty baked. Never froze while warm. Defrost with the wrappings.

I have been told that this is a downside of freezing. The tacky does not go away. This was causing me to have bubbles in the BC after iced. The icing always had a hard time sticking to the cakes.

Now that I do not freeze, the problem have went away, knock on wood....=)

I am going to wait as late as possible. I am thinking about 400 afteroon today......I have done this before and the cake was always moist.

Don't ever have any leftovers to figure out if the cake becomes to dry...=)

Michael

Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 12

I too always fill and freeze in advance. I used to be so nervous about this but I was EXTREMELY overbooked one week, I had no other choice. Someone here on cake central told me to fill the cake as well before freezing to save time. I was soooo nervous because I had never done this before, and now, I will never do it any other way. The cake actually tasted fresher and more moist than my unfrozen cakes. And, as an added bonus, the thawing process, i found, helps the cakes settle a little more which eliminates bulge!!

This is my schedule, I bake and do all of my prepwork on Sundays (because I work another full time job during the week); I pull out of the freezer on Wed morning; I ice on Wed night; I refridgerate after icing them on Wed, Thursday I pull them out of fridge and start decorating Thurs and Friday. Of course, if it is a sunday cake, I adjust my schedule. I know some may think that Wed. am is way to early to thaw, but I have never, ever had a problem and my customers always tell me how moist and fresh my cakes are. And, of course, I know this, because I've taste tested this process before using it. Keep in mind however, I do not offer any perishable fillings. I do not find that refridgerating is a problem as long as there is a good coat of icing on the cake.

cakesbyamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamber Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 12

I've always wanted to freeze cakes but have been afraid to try it. I have a few questions:

1) Do you let them cool before freezing or not?

2) Do you let them thaw completely before applying icing or fondant?

3) What do you wrap them in before freezing? Saran wrap?

I could use any tips you all have. I know this would be a stress reliever. Thanks!

Mikel79 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 12

When I did this, this is what I did....

Let cool

Wrap in plastic wrap

Wrap in Alum foil

Thawing...

Place on counter still wrapped and let thaw. 30 minutes for smaller cakes. Larger one can take up to 1 hour......

But, always had issues with freezing. Cakes are to tacky when defrosted.....Taste good though....

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:53pm
post #10 of 12

I plan to bake in enough time to freeze every cake on purpose. it makes for a better cake.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyamber

I've always wanted to freeze cakes but have been afraid to try it. I have a few questions:

1) Do you let them cool before freezing or not?

2) Do you let them thaw completely before applying icing or fondant?

3) What do you wrap them in before freezing? Saran wrap?

I could use any tips you all have. I know this would be a stress reliever. Thanks!

I always freeze! I bake Monday or Tuesday and freeze until Thursday or Friday. I wrap the cooled cakes in plastic wrap (I add foil if they're going to be there longer than a couple days) and place in freezer. If I am going to torte, I do that before freezing. I also level before freezing.

I take the cakes out of the freezer and fill immediately. Its much easier to handle a frozen cake than one that is thawed. I then re-wrap loosely in saran and wait to thaw usually until the next day. Then I ice, decorate, etc. I have much better luck freezing my cakes than when I don't.

mcbiello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcbiello Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 6:16pm
post #12 of 12

I also always freeze. Customers are always shocked to hear this (I only tell if they ask) because they always rave about how fresh and delicious the cake is. If you freeze them when they are still a bit warm, it creates a condensation that keeps the cake really moist when thawed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%