How Do I Frost This Cupcake?

Lounge By stacey71 Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 3:13am by _christina_

stacey71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey71 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 19

Another member of this board was kind enough to post a link to a great cupcake website. Its frostings.org
How do you think they frost those cupcakes? Im looking at the cupcake on their home page and when I try to frost mine like that, they turn out looking like a second grader frosted them. Its embarrasing! Is there a special technique or tutorial I can learn from? Up to now, Ive been frosting mine with a simple swirl with a star tip but I'd really like to master something different.

thanks!

18 replies
TattooMom25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TattooMom25 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 19

I am guessing you are speaking of the orange frosted one? Looks to me like vanilla buttercream then they loaded spatula with orange and swirled it, starting at top and dragging spatula through (while circling cupcake) to base. Does that make any sense?

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 19

How do they get the cupcake to bake with a very large dome like all of the cupcakes on their site?

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 19

Don't remember which, but some magazine recently suggested that you could place a marshmallow on top of the cupcake, then frost, to get a tall swirl without having a high dome on the cupcake.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 19

I don't know how they get such a high dome, but they sure look very tasty! If you click on the birthday kit, it shows the chocolate cupcake (looks like a muffin) and a shot of buttercream. YUM! I guess they really fill their cupcake liners to the brim.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 19

Stayce71, go to cakejournal.com. Louise there has lots of tutorials on cupcake decorating (among other things).

On this entry, she has a tutorial on how to get a dome on a cupcake. She actually does a comparison (baked them two ways).

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/cupcake-decorating-part-2

imagenthatnj Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 19

And by the way, I do think they use a lot of frosting on top of the dome! Or maybe another piece of cake on top. You can see on some of the cupcakes (I think German chocolate) that the dome is not that high!

stacey71 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 19

Thanks Imagenthatnj, I will definitely check out the link icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 19

Here's 3 videos for you to watch on frosting cupcakes too. Have fun!

I had to go into my links file that I keep on Word...hope they work out.

stacey71 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 19

wow look at this one,

www.flickr.com/photos/lovefromcupcakes/4512379166/in/faves-46297477@N03/

any idea how thats done? I think its really beautiful. icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:27pm
post #11 of 19

Gorgeous! I would say that maybe she used tip 127D from Wilton (the giant rose petal), and some stiff buttercream. But I'm not an expert. lol.

imagenthatnj Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:45pm
post #12 of 19

I read where she says it's a Wilton 2M...and probably a lot of practice!

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:48pm
post #13 of 19

yeah I would say the same - Huge star tip + lots and lots of practice.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:02pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

I don't know how they get such a high dome, but they sure look very tasty! If you click on the birthday kit, it shows the chocolate cupcake (looks like a muffin) and a shot of buttercream. YUM! I guess they really fill their cupcake liners to the brim.

I saw this yesterday. Here are my thoughts.
They make them the "muffin way". They mix the dry with the liquid. When you do this to a muffin and cook it at a high heat you get the dome.

Or they bake them at a higher heat for a shorter time.

I did a search on Yelp and there are a lot of complaints of dry cupcakes. It is either because they keep them out and the air dries them or if they are making them with the "muffin way" (my wording), they are coming out dry. This can happen if you over mix. They also offer "breakfast cupcakes" (Hello, muffins!) which leads me to believe they are using the wet to dry process to make them.

imagenthatnj Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:24pm
post #15 of 19

I think you're right, Linda. That was what Louise at Cake Journal (http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/cupcake-decorating-part-2) kind of hinted. The cupcakes will have a dome but they'll be drier. I like my cupcakes flat and with just the right amount of frosting, but I guess their name is "frostings" so they'd better put a lot in there! They look very pretty, though. If I lived there I would go and buy one and let you know if there is a big dome under the frosting, but unfortunately, I'm in NY City. This cupcake talk is making me hungry for them... Magnolia's Bakery is right around the corner... but I don't like their cupcakes that much.

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:47pm
post #16 of 19

Hi! Yeah those cupcakes just made me hungry. But anyways, to get a bigger dome on my cupcakes, here is what I do: If the cupcakes are to be baked at 350, set the oven temp for 375. As soon as you put the cupcakes in, turn the oven down to 350 and cook until they are done. This is just me but I would prefer a moister cupcake to a tall cupcake. That's just me though.

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:29pm
post #17 of 19

I frost a gazillion cupcakes a day at work, almost the same way. Since they NEVER come out of the oven the same way (sometimes they're domed, sometimes not so much).... it's all up to the frosting to keep them uniform.
Just like in the Magnolia Bakery youtube video, I start with a dollop of buttercream on the side. Then I push it forward with a bowl knife and swirl the bowl knife all the way around the cupcake to cover it all .
Then depending on what kind of cupcake im doing ( different flavors get frosted differently) will dictate what I do next. Easy enough is to leave it like that.
Or, swirl the frosting ( just like in the picture) and for some add sprinkles around the sides or around the entire cupcake. Believe it or not, those are harder because I have to be very gentle so I dont smush the frosting ..... keeping the dome nice and high without dents.
HTH

mlocklear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlocklear Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:50pm
post #18 of 19

it looks like they frost with a spatula, not a tip. Probably alot of practice to get it that perfect!

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:13am
post #19 of 19

Thank goodness for Yelp! If you look at the customer photos of their cupcakes, they don't really look quite as beautiful as they do online. And if you look at the customer photos of the ones that are cut in half, there is really no cake dome to speak of so it looks like most of the effect is frosting and a spatula.

I have seen that if you swirl your icing and then dip it into a bowl full os sprinkles, coconut or chocolate you will mound the frosting as they have.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%