Gum Paste Help!

Decorating By Klampy Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 1:26pm by mpetty

Klampy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Klampy Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:08am
post #1 of 4

Okay so today I bought wilton gum paste and i attempted to make a rose. However for some reason it was EXTREMELY dry right out of the package. Whenever I see you tube videos of anyone using gum paste it seems so smooth with out the "Elephant skin" thing going on. Is it the brand Im using or should I have used a little bit of water? Any suggestions are appreciated!

3 replies
Goldberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goldberry Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 10:13am
post #2 of 4

Hi

don't use water. when you take the gumpaste out of the pack you need to work it - like you would with fondant. So I use only a little at a time and then I knead it in my hand, stretching it. This will let the gums start to work and will soften it. If it is really hard with dry bits in it the best thing is to take these off and throw them away, although you can with effort bring them back to life.

If you still find the gumpaste too dry then you add a bit of white fat - I'm in the UK and use trex but the US will have their own brands. this will help soften the paste.

I hope that this helps

Zerrin

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 10:21am
post #3 of 4

Zerrin is right just work in a little crisco, and you should be fine. Remember gumpaste does need to be covered when you aren't working it or it starts to dry out, Thats what it is suppose to do

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 4

Definitely try the Crisco, but also know that Wilton premade gumpaste sometimes has rock-hard spots that will need to be thrown out. I've read other complaints about that and had a problem with one of the bags I bought. It wasn't a huge chunk that needed to be tossed, just a bit of one of the top corners. I was able to save the rest of the bag by kneading in the Crisco.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%