Marshmallow

Baking By mersha Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 3:52pm by TrixieTreats

mersha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mersha Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 6

i would like to make marshmallows at home instead of buying them. can anyone help me giving the correct method, pls. i've tried but didn't turned up well. out of that i want to make fondant cos its very difficult to find white marshmallows

5 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 6

Marshmallow fondant is supposed to be easy.
It doesn't make sense (IMO) to go thru all the trouble of making homemade marshmallows and then using that to do MMF.
Look thru the fondant recipes on this site and find Michele Foster's recipe.
I am always seeing posters raving about how good it is.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 6

Mersha...I would continue your hunt to buy marshmallows. I made homemade marshmallow fluff for an icing on a s'mores cake and it did not (to me) taste like authentic marshallows. The cost of the ingredients to make it homemade will surpass the cost of buying the minis. Good luck!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 6

Have you thought about instead of making marshmallows to make marshmallow fondant to use a fondant recipe that doesn't require marshmallows.

The MFF recipse (Michelle Foster's Fondant) has gelatine in it, which is what you would use to make marshmallows. You are just skipping over that step.

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 6

If you really want to make homemade marshmallows here is Alton Brown's method and recipe...I love him...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-marshmallows-recipe/index.html

Though I agree with TexasSugar...MFF is wonderful, it is all I use.

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 6

Oh, and P.S. MFF is the best consistency and taste as well as the most cost effective method I have found...

an approximately 5 lb batch of MFF costs me just under $7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%