Flying With Sugar Flowers?

Decorating By Teenz Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 2:51am by Bugaboo_Bakery

Teenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teenz Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all!
An Australian here! =) Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience here flying domestically or internationally with gumpaste flowers before?
As I am attending Ron Ben Israel's class in Savannah next year and was hoping to bring my flower's home with me. If I can't obviously that's fine I was just wondering as they have wires and they are sugar if this might be a problem?

Thanks,
Tina. =)

3 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 4

I have done it as carryon a few times. (toilet paper is THE best cusion material.) I mark the top of the box as sugar flowers and Fragile and talk to the security people as they xray it. I have had no problems so far. I wait keep waiting for them to stop them because of the wires, but they have never dug that far into the packaging to see them yet. last time we used clear Rubbermaid tubs that are sturdy for their own protection, and the airport people can see right through it. Just make sure it fits carry on size requirements for your airline.

Teenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teenz Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:08am
post #3 of 4

ok perfect thanks sharon! hopefully there's no problems =) I was thinking carry on is the best and obviously safest for the flowers hehe

Bugaboo_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:51am
post #4 of 4

I flew with over 600 gumpaste daisies last Sept. I packed them in a clear, plastic box that scrapbookers use to store paper. I layered bubble wrap and toilet paper.

On the plane I put them under the seat in front of me. I was scared if I put them in the overhead compartment they would get knocked around or even get pushed out and fall.

When I got to the wedding location I think only about 30 had been chipped.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%