What Do You Use?

Decorating By bakingmomma10 Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 12:14am by bakingmomma10

bakingmomma10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmomma10 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 7

hello bakers,
was wondering what you use for your work station when working with fondant? Will using powdered sugar make the fondant dry? What about some crisco? Thank you for all your help!

keep baking and make it fun

6 replies
janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 7

For fondant you should really be using cornflower.

bakingmomma10 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 7

thank you very much!!!

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeoxo

Cornflower, is that the same as cornstarch?

JstBCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JstBCakes Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 7

I use corn starch but am having some "dust" issues. will the fondant absorb the corn starch dust or do I need to use a small paint brush with some corn syrup and water? I brushed most of it off but and wondering about the small patches of it.... icon_cool.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeoxo

Well...............not necessarily.

It depends on the preferences of the decorator and can depend on the type of fondant being used. There's no hard & fast rule about using cornflour/cornstarch, PS, or shortening.

As a matter of fact, because CS is a drying agent, it can be a very poor choice if the fondant being used also has a tendency to be dry.

I use a smear of crisco on a vinyl or silicone mat to roll ALL types of fondant: Satin Ice (rolling on shortening is actually recommended on their website), Wilton, FondX, Fondarific/Duff's, & Massa Grischuna. I don't make MMF or MFF.

I like not having to deal with the mess of dusts either while rolling or on the finished product. I have no issues with drying or sticking and clean up is a breeze.

Rae

bakingmomma10 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:14am
post #7 of 7

thank you so much Rae! That is very helpful, I was going to try the cornflower/cornstartch but I only have a limited time and supply because I have a cake to make for this weekend! Maybe I will try with small batches for both and figure out what works best! Thank you all so much! =)

keep on baking and make it fun

melinda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%