Should I Take A Grocery Store Job?

Decorating By mmgiles Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 8:54pm by cakesdivine

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 6

My husband called this morning. While he was in Brookshires the Store Director was telling him about an open position for a cake decorator. He wanted to know if I was interested in a part time job (on top of my full time job). I have been decorating for a few years now and I thought I would be over qualified since I can work with fondant and make gumpaste flowers, etc, but I looked today and they do all of that too. I'm not sure if they go strictly by the book where customers just order from their book or if they deviate from that at all. I've considered a part time job doing this in the past but I dont know what to expect for pay or hours. This would have to be in the evenings and weekends and I would really be doing it temporarily until I can pay off my credit cards and save up a decent emergency fund. I eventually want to be a SAHM and those are things I have to do before I can get there. This might also be what I was looking for in a part time job once I have kids.

Would you take on a part time job on top of a full time job? What could I expect to make?

5 replies
CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 6

Well, as far as taking on a part time job on top of your full time job I would say it depends on how fast you want to meet your goal of being a SAHM. I'd say it depends also on your energy level. I've had a part time job on top of a full time job before and it's not easy, but if you enjoy the part time job, it can be fun. Just remember that this will take away all of your free time though. As far as what you can expect to make, I know that grocery stores in my area pay minimum wage. Good luck!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 6

If you are in Tx and it is Brookshire bros. I would do it. The pay scales for decorators is pretty high in TX. I stopped decorating for grocery stores in Houston (Albertson's & Randall's) about 7 years ago. I was making $14.50 an hour. That was 7 years ago. So you might could easily ask for $14 part time. You will need to learn to decorate extremely fast (at least 12-15 quarter sheets in an hour). Grocery store profit margins are really low so they need to crank out tons of cakes and keep the cases and back-up full at all times. I would not trade my grocery store years for anything. I learned so much that helped me become much faster for my own cake biz.

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 6

You have decorating experience-this puts you above minimum wage-if you are a good negotiator ask for 3.00 to 10.00 more per hour.
I have worked in a supermarket bakery before and it was about production and keeping the case full of decorated cakes and having back-ups.
The big plus about working in a supermarket is learning about the suppliers for cake products.
Hope this helps.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

JanelleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanelleH Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 6

You should be able to get at least a couple of dollars above minimum wage since you have decorating experience. Usually grocery store bakeries don't have as many fondant and gumpaste cake orders, so those skills may not be a top priority for them (meaning, they won't want to pay you extra for having those skills, just for your basic skills). Just realize that you'll still be the bakery newbie, which means you'll get all of the basic, boring, sheet cake work.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 6

My very first grocery store job paid me $10.50 an hour and that was over 10 years ago when min wage was only $5.15 an hour. So you can easily ask for at least $5 to $6 over min wage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%