Need Help Finalizing A Cupcake Stand

Decorating By texastj Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 2:18pm by cutthecake

texastj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastj Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 11:42am
post #1 of 10

So I decided against buying a cupcake stand. Only because I am too picky and I was afraid I wouldn't get it in time for my daughter's birthday party. Then looking around stores I came up with the idea to use photo frames for the cupcake tower. And what a great idea it is!!!!! The frames are pretty deep which allows lots of creativity when it comes to decorating. Since I will be using it for my daughter's birthday we will put all her favorite things inside. I replaced the glass with plastic instead for safety.

Now I just need help deciding what to use to stack the frames that would support the cupcakes without falling. I want to use something that can easily be interchangable so I wont be stuck with the same color pattern each time. Any suggestions?????

9 replies
goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 11:54am
post #2 of 10

I don't really understand. Are the fames upright? if so can you not just use PVC pipe and spray paint it?

texastj Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 10

I'm having problems uploading the pics as an attachment and in my photos. Will try again later but the frames lay flat so that they are stackable.

texastj Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 10

Couldn't add the photos as an attachment but I was able to place it in my photo folder. Take a look and let me know your ideas?

Thanx so much.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:33pm
post #5 of 10

What a BRILLANTE idea - thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif (thats 2 thumbs up icon_wink.gif )

Have you thought of using those Glass blocks-
I know it is for a childs birthday - but i am thinking that it would lend that air of floating and light to the whole structure.
They are sturdy yet light to arrange - will reflect the light and no matter what colour you use for the cupcake cases - or tops - they shall instantely match.

Considering you are doing something completely different to the normal - be different and create something that will add to the feature - without taking away from the frames...you don't want anything *heavy* looking.

Again - WHAT A BRILLANTE IDEA... love it.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 10

what a great idea!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:47pm
post #7 of 10

I did this stand last summer, using plastic box frames and trinket boxes, and Lucite cubes.
It won't load here, but it's in my photos.

texastj Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 10

Thanx everyone for the wonderful compliments and ideas. We live overseas which makes it more difficult to find things. I will look for the glass cubes which is a great idea (thanx Bluehue). Cutthecake - great pics! Still brainstorming.........

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:29pm
post #9 of 10

Could also use vases. You can get short ones that are larger in diameter than tall (for like table center peices) and then fill with different things.

Or fish bowls would work too

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:18pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks.
You could use virtually anything that is stable: squatty candlesticks, flower pots, ice cream sundae glasses, sturdy glasses, bowls, canned goods wrapped up in pretty paper....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%