Help... Fondant Tearing

Decorating By brmagic Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 8:45pm by brmagic

brmagic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brmagic Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 9

Good day all, I've been having the worst time laying fondant ontop of my cake. After crub coating and chilling cake in the fridge(24 hrs), I remove cake and roll out fondant. When placing fondant I am lifting as I am patting down, but its has been tearing.
Please help.
I am using the regular buttercream recipe with merengue powder. Also i am using vanilla bean paste instead of extract.

Thanks

8 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 9

Which fondant are you using?

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 9

Are you maybe rolling out your fondant to thin?

brmagic Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the reply

I am using Wiltons fondant. I've tried attaching a pic but unfortunately its not letting me.

I had it at over 1/8" thick. Should I just roll out 1/4 instead?

It happened at the top edge as I was patting down. I can seem to pat away the folds properly.

Thanks

Brian

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 9

Hmm... yeah, try rolling it a bit thicker. I've never usd Wiltons, but you might try kneading in some glycerine - about 1 tbls per 2lbs.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 9

Yes I would say need it a bit more with glycerine like MacsMom recommended, and don't rub to hard, maybe try to use a softer touch. I just reread your post...do you mean that it's sticking to your counter...because if that's the cause use more PS on your counter.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 11:18am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by brmagic

Thanks for the reply

I am using Wiltons fondant. I've tried attaching a pic but unfortunately its not letting me.

I had it at over 1/8" thick. Should I just roll out 1/4 instead?

It happened at the top edge as I was patting down. I can seem to pat away the folds properly.

Thanks

Brian

EVERYTIME that I've tried to use Wilton fondant to cover a cake it cracks at the top edge. No matter how thick or how thin I roll it. I have tried several times to use it and have never been able to. I've never had this problem with any other fondant that I've used. I've kneaded in glycerin and it didn't seem to help at all.

I use Michele Foster's fondant and honestly it goes on perfect everytime. I find that a gelatin based fondant is just easier for me to work with.

I suggest that you try a different fondant than Wilton for covering your cakes. It's great for bows and accessories but I've never had any luck covering a cake with it.

Also....your cake should not be cold when you cover with fondant. I stick mine in the freezer for 15 minutes. This is just enough time to firm up the cake without changing the internal temperature of your cake. A cake that is too cold will cause bubbles under your fondant and also condensation that will cause tacky, sticky fondant.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:44pm
post #8 of 9

I've also been advised never to use cold or frozen cakes under fondant, as they will 'sweat' and potentially ruin your fondant.

I had trouble uploading my first photos, and eventually noticed a TINY message telling me the file was too big, so that might be your problem as well.

Also if you want to persevere with it, try laying a very thin bit of your fondant on the areas of cake you expect to split, prior to putting on your final coat of fondant. That way if it DOES split, you won't see cake through the rip, only the same colour fondant. Then you can rub the edges with your fingers to try and make it blend in.

brmagic Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all. I iced and placed fondant over my cake in a cooled area. It worked great. Humidity seemed to be my enemy. I will make sure to hope for cooler days...lol

Thank you all for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%