Fondant Cakeboards

Decorating By Aimomo26 Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 12:50am by Aimomo26

Aimomo26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aimomo26 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:33am
post #1 of 6

I posted a similar question earlier but no one responded - I think I was on the wrong thread...

Anyways - I wanted to create a "street" around my cake and put little matchbox cars around it. So I thought of covering a 14" cakeboard in black fondant and having my 9" cake in the center - Only I'm worried about ruining the cakeboard when trying to cover the cake with fondant - Will it be okay if I cover the cakeboard ahead of time and let it harden? I usually use a pizza cutter to even out the edge around my cake so I'm not sure how to do this.

Thanks in advance for any ideas icon_smile.gif

Aimee

5 replies
bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:41am
post #2 of 6

Yes you should be fine! Just make sure you let it dry before placing your cake on top.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:42am
post #3 of 6

It'll be fine. I cover all my boards that way. Smear a little piping gel on the board first before you put the fondant on, then smooth from the inside out.

Aimomo26 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:46am
post #4 of 6

Kimma how do you move it without putting a cake board underneath it? Should I just get a 9" cake board and hope it doesn't show?

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:48am
post #5 of 6

I may be misinterpreting your question but you should cover your 9" cake on a separate cake circle, then after you have it covered with fondant use some piping gel or buttercream to hold the 9" cake on the previously covered board. Do not try to cover your 9" cake while it is on the 14" board. Hope that helps!

Aimomo26 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:50am
post #6 of 6

Nope thats exactly the information I was looking for - Thank you nonilm!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%