How Do You Know When You Have Experimented Too Much??

Decorating By tesso Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 3:26pm by tracycakes

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:12am
post #1 of 8

When your brother in law says, "sis, you make the most fabulous tasting cakes.. but can I have just a plain cake for my birthday. Maybe strawberry with vanilla icing."

I think I have killed my "guinea pig" with all the latest cake experiments!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Poor man, I guess he doesnt get that plain strawberry and vanilla translates into the following cake terms.. Real strawberry puree and real vanilla bean icing.. LOL icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

I GUESS I can regress back to basic cake and icing.. icon_sad.gif
I mean it IS his birthday after all.

icon_lol.gif

7 replies
DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:20am
post #2 of 8

Some people just have no imagination!! LOL

I just went through this with my husband. I have such a great time creating these cool concoctions and for his birthday what does he want??? Chocolate cake with plain vanilla whipped cream icing. BORING!!!!

I made it for him and he loved it. But its definitely not the type of cake that I'd want to do very often.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:34am
post #3 of 8

well you could counter propose:

Guinness stout cake

Kahlua cake

Beer cake

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:35am
post #4 of 8

My husbands favorite is plain vanilla w/vanilla icing--preferably cupcakes. IF he wants cake, then it is vanilla w/Bavarian cream and vanilla frosting. He occaisonally will "tolerate" chocolate frosting. icon_confused.gif

Kristy

bakescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescupcakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:48am
post #5 of 8

My daughters don't really like cake anymore icon_eek.gif For the past 18months they've been the tasters, and now they're sooo over it! One daughter only wants a plain sponge with whipped cream and strawberries for her next b'day, no decorations. Which is yum, but lol I'd really like to try some new techniques! icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:13am
post #6 of 8

Yesterday, we celebrated all the summer birthdays in our extended family. I baked two big cakes, a Yankees themed cake for the boys, and a makeup bag for the girls (both had fillings, fondant and buttercream). As I was cutting up the leftover cake to give to people to take home, our middle child said to them, "Pleeeeeease take it. I can't eat anymore cake! There's always cake in our house. If it's there, I'll eat it. No more cake."

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:16am
post #7 of 8

For my daughter's 15th birthday she BEGGED me for "just a regular cake, mom. From a box. With canned chocolate icing. Just like all my friends get for their birthday. No borders. No decorations. Just a regular cake."

My married daughter AND her husband and kids beg me "Just white cake with white icing in the middle, mom. No raspberry stuff. No dreamsicle flavors. Just plain 'ole white cake with white icing. That's what we like. That's what we want."

But turn it into a positive here folks! thumbs_up.gif It's a good lesson in knowing your audience/client. If we want them to really enjoy our cakes, then we really SHOULD make them the cakes THEY want to eat, rather than the cakes WE want to make! thumbs_up.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 8

My hubby doesn't even want a whole cake, just the cake scraps from strawberry or wasc. No chocolate, no icing, just scraps. Heaven forbid that I actually try to decorate a cake for him.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%