Melvira Better Than Viva?

Decorating By cakeythings1961 Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 4:36pm by kansaslaura

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 11

I've been working on improving my buttercream technique all summer. I can get the icing pretty smooth with Viva, but it leaves the cake looking a bit dull. When I try Sugar Shack's copy paper technique I just get a mess...it sticks even though the icing has crusted.

Is the Melvira method significantly better than the Viva thing? Does it leave the BC nice & shiny?

TIA

10 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 11
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 11

I didn't know you could get buttercream 'shiny'... educate me, please!!

And I like the Melvira method because it's quick.. zipitdy zip! With Viva it seemed like I kept going back over and over ...

cakeythings1961 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 11

Umm, isn't it supposed to be shiny? I'm just a beginner, so maybe I'm expecting the wrong results from smoothing. Sharon Z. says in her BC dvd that after smoothing with computer paper, the icing will be "smooth as glass." I just cannot get that computer paper thing to work for me.

I thought (probably mistakenly) that when you want a matte finish, you use fondant. But one of the advantages of BC is that is has a shiny, glossy finish. Am I wrong? Maybe I'm just obsessing?

Kansaslaura, you're right...Viva smoothing does take a lot of repetition! So the real advantage of Melvira is that it's quick & easy? I could go for that!

mindydaile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindydaile Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 11

I've tried a lot of different crusting buttercreams and I've never had one that was shiny.

ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 11

I just started using the Melvira method (Thanks Melvira!) and am finding it pretty easy to get a nice finish.

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 11

Personally I think both methods are great. But I like the viva and computer paper better, some how with the roller I get teeny, tiny little fuzzies in my butter cream. I haven't gotten that with the viva method.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 11

I usually just use the viva...both methods are great though. I also don't have "shiny buttercream" that's a new one to me. icon_confused.gif

cookiemom51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemom51 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 11

I think I would be leery of using computer paper to smooth icing as it may be coated with inedible or even toxic finishes which might transfer to the cake. I always stick to wax paper or parchment intended for food use.

cakeythings1961 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:55pm
post #10 of 11

OK, you've put my mind at ease! I guess I was trying to get the poor BC to do something it's not meant to do, lol!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 4:36pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by didavista

Personally I think both methods are great. But I like the viva and computer paper better, some how with the roller I get teeny, tiny little fuzzies in my butter cream. I haven't gotten that with the viva method.

Fuzzies? What kind of roller are you using? I use a high-density foam and there is no way there is lint or fuzzies on it. Be sure to wash it everytime is the only thing I can suggest.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%