Ever Just Want To Nicely Say 'go Away' ...?

Business By Chef_Stef Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 11:47am by beesweetcakes

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 16

Sigh. (and yes...I did)

Having a hard time being patient with people lately. Guess I'm just tired, but I'm also tired of stupid, rude, cheap, and/or demanding people, too. I run my husband's business too, so I get it from 2 directions sometimes.

Do you ever type emails (and posts, for that matter--I just erased the whole story behind this one...!) and then just *know* you better not hit <send>?

I did recently, and I'm glad, but sometimes--just once--it'd be nice to write back in an email response, what I'm really thinking.

Glad it's the weekend.
tapedshut.gif

15 replies
cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 16

I think you're better off when you realize that you don't need every prospective order that comes your way!! some people just need to be put in their place!!! regardless of what business you're in!!
I think you'll be happier in the long run, and probably SMILE every time you think about what you did!!
YOU GO GIRL!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:00am
post #3 of 16

Nicely? icon_rolleyes.gif Nah .... can't say that's ever happened! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sometimes I think stupid people just need to be "informed" that they are stupid! icon_razz.gif

I differentiate between those who just dont' know .... and those who are stupid. Flat out. Undeniably. Stupid.

It's my release valve. Like the guy who had already called other bakeries and had been told he needed more notice, but called me and wanted a cake carved like some hot sports car ..... in time for his dinner party in about 5 hours! icon_eek.gif I flat out laughed at him on the phone and said (and I quote): "Dude! Do you know how many DAYS it takes to make a cake like that?" That's when I found out that yes he DID know because I wasn't his first phone call.

Dumba$$es.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:56am
post #4 of 16

Be glad that the voices in your head advised to hit delete.
I can get pretty ugly sometimes, key a long drawn out "don't you know you're stupid" post and right after I hit send am frantically looking for an edit button.
The voices "Oh no you dit'ant!"
I have a memo (nicely framed and hung where I can easily see it) that reminds me to spell check and proof read.
Sometimes I take heed.....

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 16

I don't delete/edit OR refrain nearly as much as I used to. I am sick and tired of being devalued.

Latest example?? I had a woman call for 2 pies. Now I make everything from scratch--from the crust up and use the best ingredients. And, they're 10" deep dish pies.

I get this.. How much would it be for "JUST" an apple pie?? I tell her $15, which is plenty cheap. *gasp*.. do you have anything CHEAPER?? What about Cherry.. I say.. nope. Cherry is the same price. *gasp*... do you have ANYTHING cheaper.. I say, "No, but I did see Dillions had a BIG display of apple pies for $2.88 when I was there yesterday, if you hurry I'm sure they still have some"....

Woman on other end.. "Ohh.. no, my friends wouldn't like that, they like good pies."

I say nothing.. you know the rule, the first one to speak looses..

She says--so that would be "THIRTY DOLLARS... for 2 pies"

I refrain from the first thing that is on the tip of my tongue and say.. Yes.

She draws a long breath and tells me when she'd like them. I agree.

She shows up, again,....now how much are those going to be.

I say nothing.. she pulls out check book and says.. oh yea, $30......I nod and give her the total.

BTW--she's one of the most wealthy women in the area and we go through this EVERYTIME she orders anything! She actually tried to get me to come down on a soup and sandwich special I had one day--if she took it to go...

Yea... whatever!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

She actually tried to get me to come down on a soup and sandwich special I had one day--if she took it to go...

Yea... whatever!!

Waffle House charges an extra 10% on all to-go orders...

LOL..."noooooooo...but I will charge an extra 10% if you stay icon_razz.gif "

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:58pm
post #7 of 16

I completely hear ya....I think I acquire a TON of high maintanace people...I think it is also that where I live, or the service I have a rep. for giving, so I have partially created the monster. I have one client that starts emailing me weekly in the beginning of the year for a cake in November, has done this each year, but is a PAIN!!!! I think the worst experience I have had lately was my FIL passed away, and I canceled orders due to the situation and the funeral. I had a lady screaming at me how inconsiderate I was and his death was really poor timing for her party!! WHAT? icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif I couldn't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I swear that people have NERVE....I also have come to the conclusion that some just need to be put in their place, they will be pains in the a$$ no matter what they do, so either they will be quite and still work with you, or go elsewhere. But at least you will have your sanity. LOL

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 16

There are several times when I've just burst out laughing at a customer's request. Sometimes you just can't help it.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:01pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by apetricek

I think the worst experience I have had lately was my FIL passed away, and I canceled orders due to the situation and the funeral. I had a lady screaming at me how inconsiderate I was and his death was really poor timing for her party!! WHAT? icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif I couldn't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you were in South Dakota, I'd suspect that was my mother on the other end of that converstation..

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 16

heres a good one I get all the time, I would like a nicey decorated cake to serve 5 or a carved cake that will
serve 5-8. My min serving is 25 at $4.50 per serving, oh thats too much. I get these request every week. Im so tired of it that Iam going to specialize in wedding cakes no more occasion cakes.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 7:16pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesondemand

Im so tired of it that Iam going to specialize in wedding cakes no more occasion cakes.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I said the same exact thing almost 2 weeks ago. I'd take 10 bridezillas over 1 nitpicky-crotchity(?)-tightwadded-bargainhuntinginthewrongdamndirection-whowantstobethebrightlightoftheevent-partyplanner anyday!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 2:49am
post #12 of 16

I love those that want a carved cake to look like, let's say, a baby but only want it to serve 5 - 8 people. 1) I absolutely do not want to make a cake that looks like a baby to be carved it (they would probably want red velvet) and 2) Carved cakes start at 30 servings.

Most times, I'm able to stay professional but at times, I really want to laugh.

We have open store hours but we are custom only. The people that come in, look around and say "Don't you have any cakes?!". Yes ma'am, when they are ordered. Then she turns up her nose, turns around and nearly runs out, and won't even take a brochure. I was meeting with a bride at the time and my husband, thankfully, had to deal with her. It's not the first time something like that happened. They get all snippy because you don't have some little cheap cake they can take back to the office because they forgot someone's birthday.

I better go to bed time. I tired and getting grouchy. sorry for the hijack.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 6:09am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

She actually tried to get me to come down on a soup and sandwich special I had one day--if she took it to go...

Yea... whatever!!

Had a bride who asked me "Do I get a discount on the catering because it's only 50 people?" I said, "Actually, you will be paying more because it's only 50 people." Then I explained how "the gas in my van costs the same, whether I have food for 50 or food for 250 inside of it. The tablecloths cost me the same rental fee, whether I have food for 50 or food for 250 sitting on top of them." etc.

Discount for *LOW* volume. oh THAT'S a new one! dunce.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 2:52pm
post #14 of 16

Discount for *LOW* volume. oh THAT'S a new one! dunce.gif[/quote]

I had a planner that did that to me a few weeks ago. Their cake budget was $200, and she wanted a discount on the red velvet cake so she could fit it into that budget. icon_confused.gif

I actually told someone to go away last week. A guy kept stringing his order along, not actually placing the order, but every couple of weeks emailing me to up the complication of the order (went from a "music themed cake" to a 3D upright piano cake on TOP of another cake). When he sent the last email questioning "why so much?" I told him to go away. Nicely.
Sometimes you have to fire your clients if they will be more trouble than they are worth. Had a sales guru tell me that once, and I took it to heart. There are just some people that will take too much time to make happy, so let them go! thumbs_up.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 6:06pm
post #15 of 16

Oh you guys! Thanks for making me smile. Now, of course, I have to tell the story so you can join in my laughing.

The problem was this: (all by email)

her: "I need a cake for my child's 1st bday but we aren't letting him have sugar until he's much older. It has to be no sugar, so only sweetened with fruit, with fruit topping, possibly cupcakes, and we're on a very tight budget. Can you do this?"

me: (and I'm paraphrasing here)--"If we used organic sugar, would that work?" (I'm thinking to myself-- with a nod to diabetics but not children who arent allowed, even on a bday, to have sugar--a cake without sugar? is a biscuit tapedshut.gif ) "I can do carrot or banana? What's your date, as I'm booked through xx. Pricing starts at $xx." (hoping date and pricing will steer us apart already)

her: No I really don't want any sugar at all but if it HAD to have sugar, I guess organic, but really I want it just fruit.

me (to myself)--OK so do I have time to research diabetic recipes and come up with something, price it, and deal with this? NO

(to her) Unfortunately I don't have any recipes without sugar, but we could do the carrot or banana. And again...WHATS your date???

Her: Thanks but if I wanted a cake with sugar, I'd make it myself or get it at the store. And there are a lot of these recipes available online. I wanted someone who could do it and make it look better than me. Can you do this or not?

Me: Best of luck with that then. Thanks for asking though.

You can't believe the stuff I left out...but it goes down as part of why I always get to work with people I LIKE. icon_smile.gif

I should have said "I'm booked that date" HAHA

all better now

beesweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beesweetcakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:47am
post #16 of 16

I had a lady email with a baby shower cake request. It was to feed 100 people and each serving was to have 1 fondant baby on it. I'm thinking, OK no problem. This was the kicker, I quote. "well, I thought that since you are just starting off in this cake thing, I thought that $10 would be a fair price for the cake." This is no joke. Those were her words. I emailed her back and told her that there was no way that I could even make this cake for price with just ingredients alone. I also told her that I was completely insulted and to never contact me again. I was livid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%