Help!!!!! Fondant Cracking!

Decorating By TPayne827 Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 6:54pm by TPayne827

TPayne827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPayne827 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 12

I make my own MMF and have never had any trouble. I just made some today and it is dry and cracking and just not staying together! I can't even roll it out to cut dots out of because as soon as I roll over it once with my rolling pen it cracks and rips and looks like elephant skin. I have tried adding Crisco but no matter how much I add, it isn't helping!!! I have a cake due tomorrow morning and can't do anything until I get this fondant going! icon_cry.gif

11 replies
TPayne827 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 12

Really? Nobody? icon_sad.gif

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 12

Even though you've said you added Crisco it sounds like you still need to add more.

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 12

Sounds like you added too much PS

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 12

If you live close to a cake shop, I'd say just bite the bullet and go buy some Satin Ice. Too much to worry about in too little time.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 12

I know its too late, but, I'd add some water. sometimes I add a little water and it works- other times I have to add crisco- but you have to be careful, if you add too much it will end up cracky and such because its got too much crisco.

I've had it happen before, icon_sad.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 12

You can always pop it in the microwave for a very few seconds. Might make it pliable enough to knead in the crisco that you want in a more effective manner. Good luck!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:01am
post #8 of 12

With marshmallow fondant you have to watch. I have found that some recipes call for the 10 ounce bag of marshmallows and some call for the 16 ounces. If you add to many marshmallows the fondant is too soft and you have to add PS, if you add to few the fondant becomes to dry and you have to add a little more water to the mixture. But I also agree with emiyeric, if you put it in the microwave for just a few seconds it will help make it more pliable. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

TPayne827 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:17am
post #9 of 12

Thanks for the help! I added some more Crisco and got it to where it would work but now that it is on the cake some of it looks like it is sweating. I used the same recipe I always use so I'm not sure what the problem was. It calls for 16 oz of marshmallows, 2 lb PS, and 2-5 bsp water. Could it be the weather? It is VERY hot, humid, and rainy here right now.

It's just not my day for cakes I guess! I finished it and made a gumpaste bow for the front. The "loop" on the right side keeps falling off! Ii made some gum glue but for some reason it isn't holding that one loop! Any suggestions for getting the one side to saty on? The cake is buttercream with fondant decor. If I make some royal icing can I use that to "glue" it on?UGH!

dakotablackodom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dakotablackodom Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 12

I think your cake looks awesome! Sorry you had so much trouble w/ it. I am new to the fondant world...can you tell me how you made the bow? It is so cute and I have to make a similar one soon. I have been practicing but mine looks terrible!

TPayne827 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks! I guess I was just having a bad week! I've never had that much trouble before! This was my 1st bow ever! I was excited that it turned out so good! I actually used gum paste for the bow. I tried fondant but it doesn't firm up fast enough. I used a tutorial I found on this site to guide me. Good Luck and have fun!

http://cakecentral.com/articles/128/how-to-make-a-gumpaste-bow

TPayne827 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:54pm
post #12 of 12

And I ended up using candy melts to "glue" the bow on. Worked like a charm!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%