Should I Add Tylose?

Decorating By Skidoochic Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 2:44am by cdgleason

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 5:32am
post #1 of 6

I want to try to make the popular bridal shower cake with the dress and the skirt hanging over the edge of the cake. I am terrified on doing the skirt and wonder if I should or shouldn't add tylose to the fondant. What do you pros think? Also, if anyone has done this cake and has any tips I am all ears!! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Skidoochic Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 6

Anyone? Do you add gumpaste and tylose? I don't know how to link to a picture, but I am talking about the cake where the gown just drapes beautifully over the side.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 8:47am
post #3 of 6

Tylose will make the fondant dry faster and hold it's shape so I would use it. I had to make grass strands that stood up the sides of a wedding cake and about two inches above the tiers. I tried doing this without Tylose and it didn't work well at all. After adding the Tylose the fondant was easier to work with and mold into different shapes and directions.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 6

Ditto with Sweettreat101. I use tylose all the time. It makes the fondant dry stiffer and works great when you don't want the fondant to stretch out too much.

Skidoochic Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:26am
post #5 of 6

Thank you both. I used Tylose. Unfortunately, the power went out at my house due to a storm and I rushed and my dress did not turn out like I wanted, but my friend really liked it, so I guess that is ok.

Thanks again!

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:44am
post #6 of 6

I never add tylose to gumpaste, I add tylose to fondant... bows, ribbons, anything that I want a little more stability than simple fondant alone.
I think gumpaste already has tylose (or gum tragacanth) in it.

I think it also depends on the ratio. I have a friend who uses tylose when she makes bows & ribbons because a small amount of it makes the fondant more elastic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%