Just Say No...to Writing On Cakes

Decorating By cakegroove Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 2:23am by Loucinda

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 31

I made a beautiful dessert cake last night with a perfectly straight basketweave around it. And then I turn around and make it look less than perfect with "Happy Birthday Debbie" on it. icon_cry.gif Sometimes my handwriting is spot on and sometimes it seriously stinks. I can write on the SIDE of a cake no sweat. But for some reason writing on the top of cakes is painful for me

30 replies
samarinbooboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samarinbooboo Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 31

I can write pretty good, but I don't like writing on cakes. I will take a "before" picture of the cake most of the time before I write on it. All parties involved know why they are celebrating whatever they are celebrating without any words on a cake IMO. icon_lol.gif

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by samarinbooboo

I can write pretty good, but I don't like writing on cakes. I will take a "before" picture of the cake most of the time before I write on it. All parties involved know why they are celebrating whatever they are celebrating without any words on a cake IMO. icon_lol.gif

Ditto

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 31

Me either. My writing always is slanted no matter how I try.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 31

I refuse to ruin one of my creations with writing and will tell them upfront. If they insist on writing, I will deliver the cake and bring them bagged icing to write with. They have NEVER put it on there. LOL

I will write on a sign I put ON the cake, or on the cake board. But NOT on my cakes. LOL

mjandros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjandros Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 31

I can't write "freehand" on a cake to save my life!! I use the italic letter press from Wilton or the regular letter press for kids cakes and just put the dots around the letters to make it more "fun" on the kiddie cakes

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 31

Oh and don't you just LOVE the people that want you to write and darn greeting card on the cake but you only have 3 square inches to actually write anything at all...LOL! icon_lol.gif

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 31

few tricks I use for writing

- practice on a plate first to get the spacing correct
- place a piece of parchment or wax paper to use as a guide for a straight line under your writing
- use a very small piping bag, so you can hold it more like a pencil
- use a cake board large enough so you can write your words on the cake board in front of or around the cake, you can wipe it off and try again if you don't like it
- I have a set of alphabet cutters that I use to cut out fondant letters. These look neat slightly standing up on the cake. (I cut them out and let them dry then use a small dab of icing to prop them up on the cake)

texanlostlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texanlostlover Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 31

I feel the same way, I have good handwriting, but can't seem to pipe a message on my cakes worth anything! I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds like a great idea that could help:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-666968-perfect.html+font

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by samarinbooboo

That may be true for adults, but for kids seeing their name on the cake really adds something. Most of our orders are birthday cakes for kids who have never been able to have cake before, and it's also important to the parents that the kid knows the cake was made just for them.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 31

If you give me a practice board, plate, napkin, whatever... you'd give me an A+ for penmanship. For some reason, when I write directly on the cake, I fail.

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:51pm
post #12 of 31

Get some wafer paper and edible markers. Failproof. Cut and snip until you have it perfectly cut out.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:51pm
post #13 of 31

That's why I like wedding cakes better than birthday cakes, no writing! (Except the one with the vows written all over the sides, but thankfully no one has ever asked me to do that one!).

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:53pm
post #14 of 31

I hate it. I've tried almost everything and it still looks bad. I heard there was a way to use sugarveil and I am going to give that a try. I also did go to that other link last week and I could not figure out how to download the fonts - I could never get it to work.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:24pm
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegroove

...Sometimes my handwriting is spot on and sometimes it seriously stinks. I can write on the SIDE of a cake no sweat. But for some reason writing on the top of cakes is painful for me

I just peeked at your photos, one with printing and one with handwriting, and it really doesn't stink! You're being way too hard on yourself... I think your writing is beautiful. (maybe you had a bad day once, but keep up the good work, you have the talent!)

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:00pm
post #16 of 31

Aw, you are sweet. Thank you. And YES I had a bad day. It doesn't help that I wrote on the cake with one of those stupid Wilton colored icing tubes with #3 tip. I ran out of my white buttercream for another dessert cake and didn't have enough left over to do the writing on THIS cake. I ran out to Hobby Lobby and tried to do things the down and dirty way. Never again.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:05pm
post #17 of 31

I use a cheap laser level from walmart to shine a straight line across the cake to get the writing perfectly level.

I also will print things out on the edibe image sheets and make a "plaque" or just place the edible image on there and do a little trim around it.

cupcakeology Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeology Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:15pm
post #18 of 31

I've been on a rampage about writing on cakes lately...it never fails that the people who order a 6" cake want something like "Happy 37th Birthday! Love Alexandria, Christopher & Danielle" - I was joking that we should charge $20 for ay inscriptions on cakes!

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:58pm
post #19 of 31

I print out the lettering I want and then with piping gel traced on the back of the letters, place this on the cake. It leaves a clear outline of the lettering. Then I pipe on top of the gel with the icing. (Someone on CC made this suggestion). Examples on my cakes in the photos...

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:20pm
post #20 of 31

another way like the piping gel method is to write something out on a piece of board in reverse. you can use a pencil on tracing paper then turn it over and trace over onto a board and the pencil outline will appear. then use stiff royal icing and pipe the outline. let it dry as RI goes really stiff and you can use this to impress the lettering into soft fondant - bit like the wilton things but it means you can use any style of writing and make it bigger or smaller rather than sticking to the lettering sets. This works the same if you wanted to make an impression mat. pipe like lines or brick work onto a piece of pastillage or a plaque and when its hardened use it to impress into fondant

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:21pm
post #21 of 31

[quote="Loucinda"]I use a cheap laser level from walmart to shine a straight line across the cake to get the writing perfectly level.

/quote]

Hi Cindy,

Great tip! Who is the manufacturer and what section in Walmart did you find yours?

TIA
Veronica

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:25pm
post #22 of 31

I'm none too good at writing on cakes, either, though I'll keep nonilm's tips in mind, as well as Loucinda's suggestion to get a laser level. My favorite way to put writing on a cake lately is to extrude a long round cord of fondant with my clay extruder and make letters out of it by cutting and shaping. They can be as plain or as fancy as you want, and once they´re all laid out and the same size, then you can put them on the cake. I also have a set of letter cutters that I use to make letters out of fondant, if there's not too much writing to be done (my cutters are kind of large!).

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:28pm
post #23 of 31

I refuse to write on a cake, because like some of you have mentioned, it ruins anything that I have worked hours on, as soon as I try to write on it!
My solution..... tappits!!! I have upper and lower and funky... I just love them!! I even make up extras and keep them in a container so that they are all ready to paint/color when ever I need them!!
as far as I'm concerned, tappits are the best tool ever invented for cake decorating!!

here's a good place to find them: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?productId=633139

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:28pm
post #24 of 31
Quote:

...Sometimes my handwriting is spot on and sometimes it seriously stinks. I can write on the SIDE of a cake no sweat. But for some reason writing on the top of cakes is painful for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

I just peeked at your photos, one with printing and one with handwriting, and it really doesn't stink! You're being way too hard on yourself... I think your writing is beautiful. (maybe you had a bad day once, but keep up the good work, you have the talent!)

Quote:

Aw, you are sweet. Thank you. And YES I had a bad day. It doesn't help that I wrote on the cake with one of those stupid Wilton colored icing tubes with #3 tip...

It's the truth... your writing is fine! Believe it or not, I usually write with a #4 tip. I understand trying to write with a plastic tube of icingno control! Please don't say "no" to writing... you need to help keep the art of old school decorating alive!

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:31pm
post #25 of 31

I am lucky (if I do say so myself thumbs_up.gif )
I can write really well with a piping bag... BUT give me a pen or a pencil and it looks horrible! icon_confused.gif My sister's make fun of me all the time because I can write on cakes and not on paper..
Jodi icon_smile.gif

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:39pm
post #26 of 31

I, for one, am glad that some folks still insist on writing on cakes. If not for these people, Cake Wrecks would not exist and I would lose much of the joy out of my twisted life.

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:47pm
post #27 of 31

I can't write evenly on cakes to save my life! I have beautiful handwriting, I even do Calligraphy, but can I do it on a cake???

Heck No!

So I have come to love tappits, alphabet cutters and I recently bought a new Cricut and have been practicing with it to see if I can use it for fondant letters and shapes, so far not having 100% luck with it so may have to spring for the Cricut Cake one of these day, maybe when the price drops a little, keeping my fingers crossed!

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:48pm
post #28 of 31

I'll second cdgleason's comment about Tappits!!!!
Though my handwriting is decent...the cleaner lines of fun fondant letters that coordinate the cake's details is my preferred way to go!!

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:52pm
post #29 of 31

one nice thing about the tappits, you can color them easily.. then while the fondant/gumapaste is still damp from coloring... I almost always embelish mine with some sort of glitter or petal dust so that the letters are a little extra sparkly!!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:22am
post #30 of 31

Writing really can make or break a cake. Been there, done that....especially when I was first starting. I would get so frustrated. Writing can be one of the hardest things to master. But, even after all these years of experience...I now can write on cakes freehand, but I prefer to use my KopyKake projector. I make the message on my computer, in whatever font I want. Pop that into the projector, project down on the cake and trace the lettering with a pin. It is perfectly done, perfectly centered each time. LOVE my KK!

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%