Red Buttercream Icing- Help!

Decorating By cmehend Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 1:42pm by Mama_Mias_Cakes

cmehend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmehend Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:39am
post #1 of 6

Can anyone tell me how to make buttercream red? I'm trying to make icing for an Elmo cake and I have added Wilton no taste red to the icing, but I can't get it to come out right. I keep adding color, but it is still light. Is there anything else I can try to make it deeper red and brighter?

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:56am
post #2 of 6

It takes at least 2 hours for W colors to develop. Wait.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:58am
post #3 of 6

I got the reddest of red using this method.

Make your frosting and color it with wilton rose color. Let it sit for 20 minutes. Then add your red. Let it sit like Leah said. It makes a nice red red. Starting with the deep rose, then adding the red really worked for me. I think I have a rainbow cake in my pictures and you can see how red it is. Hope this helps.

cmehend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmehend Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:52am
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much!!

beesweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beesweetcakes Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:57am
post #5 of 6

I feel your pain. I made a Red bc last night. I had to triple the bc recipe as I am making a very large cake. I used 4 ounces of the No Taste Red and .5 oz of the Christmas Red. My bc still doesn't look right to me. I am making a Pokemon cake. I knew I should have bought the Wilton Red Decorator frosting when I saw it. It's in a huge tub. I was in the U.S. in May and saw it at Walmart. If all else fails, see if they still have it.

If anyone has any suggestions, I welcome them.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 6

Just start with rose pink is the best advice I can give. Also, I use Americolor's super red and you still have to use a bit just not as much as Wilton's. I still start with pink with that coloring too. Like the others stated, I make my dark colors the night before so they have plenty of time to darken up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%