I Just Don't Get Red Velvet

Decorating By katibeth88 Updated 22 Aug 2010 , 1:30am by LindaF144a

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 58

OK..............so a girl ordered a 2-tier cake with one layer butter recipe yellow ("the only cake the babymama can eat") and the other layer red velvet. First she told me cream cheese frosting for both tiers. I asked if she was sure because I had never had anyone ask for cream cheese on a butter recipe cake. She then said, no, she wanted buttercream on both.

The red velvet layer is in the oven right now.. and it just does not smell appetizing as it bakes like other cakes do.
So I ask, what is everyone's obsession with red velvet? What is it supposed to taste like? Do some people order it simply for the cake and NOT for the cream cheese icing???

craziness!

57 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 58

I'm with ya sista! I despise RV, to the point that I will not make it. At all. Ever.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 58

Bleh.. me neither. I make it, but I don't like it. If I gag when I taste the batter or a scrap, then I know it's perfect. icon_smile.gif

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 58

I've discovered recently that I don't care for RV either. Now, I absolutley love the cream cheese icing on it so maybe that's why I've eaten it for so many years. icon_biggrin.gif

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 58

It should smell like a chocolate cake. I love RV with CC icing.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 58

My mother says red velvet is supposed to be buttery tasting with a hint of chocolate. It's not supposed to taste like chocolate. It's definately different. I hated that cake when I was a kid, wouldn't touch it!

But now I like it. It does smell funny, i think maybe it's the food coloring. I've added food coloring to my batter a few times, and every time the cakes have smelled funny, but tated good.

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 58

I have noticed from traveling to different parts of the US that Red Velvet cake is different. I offer clients "City" Velvet or "Country" Velvet. The difference is City is the dark deep red chocolate cake(yuucck) and country is the yummy super moist buttery bright red cake(yummm). After I break it down many people say they always wondered why the cakes are so different depending on where youve had it, so I guess it's a demographic thing? (I live in SC) But I love country velvet cake with cream cheese and pecans!always a big hit! icon_biggrin.gif

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 58

I agree with Tiffany29 - it's supposed to have ahint of chocolate. But I can never get over all that red food coloring in it. Just thinking of ingesting all that red dye - yuck.

TucsonGina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TucsonGina Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 58

I absolutely love RV, especially the Southern RV recipe by Cakeman Raven. My co-workers fight over it whenever I bring cupcakes to work. thumbs_up.gif

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 58

A ha! I am from the south and have always wondered why people on CC say RV should taste like chocolate! It definitely doesn't in the southern version. I didn't know there was a "city" version! icon_lol.gif

It has a buttermilk/slightly vinegar twang that is just delicious with cream cheese icing! The hint of cocoa powder in there supposedly covers up the potential bitter taste of all that red dye. It's not meant to impart a chocolate flavor with such a small amount, relatively speaking.

I need to google the history of RV and figure out why it needs to be artificially red! Maybe back in the day it was beet sugar?

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 58

I agree 100% with Chasey....RV is NOT chocolate cake at all!!! Not even in the slightest!! It is a traditional Southern Buttermilk Cake. It has a taste all it's own. You either love it or hate it. I happen to love it while my bakery co-owner hates it!

The origional red color came from fresh beet juice and red cabbage juice. The combination of the vinegar with the cocoa created a reddish when combined with the soured milk (today being buttermilk). The colored "juice" simply intesified the color.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 7:56pm
post #12 of 58

Some people just don't like it. I'm one of the ones who loves it. It depends a lot on the recipe.

There are some that are just gross, and don't even think about boxed red velvet.....bleck, I don't even consider it red velvet, it's just red cake. But Paula Deens, Cake raven, Waldorf, they are all really good. Buttermilk vs milk w/lemon or vinegar makes a big difference. I will run to the store if I'm out, because you can't make a good RV without buttermilk.

minniepiper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minniepiper Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 7:59pm
post #13 of 58

Yes, here in the South it has a subtle flavor. It seems to me (but who am I?) that it is somewhat a fad...just like the cupcakes.

Here in the South we make our cake with very little cocoa and traditionally you are supposed to make a flour based icing which is sooo far away from cream cheese...but make no mistake, if I'm gonna eat RV, I'm gonna slap on the cream cheese (it's not my favorite).

Makes me think of the first time I tried to make dark red icing and used regular wilton red food coloring...OMG I thought I was gonna die when I tasted it----YUCK Maybe that's why I have an adversion to this strange southern creation from grannies past! icon_lol.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 8:15pm
post #14 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Bleh.. me neither. I make it, but I don't like it. If I gag when I taste the batter or a scrap, then I know it's perfect. icon_smile.gif

LOL!! icon_biggrin.gif

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 9:27pm
post #15 of 58

I recently just started adding rv to my list of flavors offered. At first I made the box ones and doctored it with buttermilk and vinegar. Then out of curiosity I made from scratch and WOWIE!! what a difference.

It was also suggested to use cooked icing and I did that too. A little more labor intensive but well worth it.

Flies out the door around here.

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 9:34pm
post #16 of 58

I watched cupcake challenge the other day and every bakery said RV was their best selling flavor. I don't really get it, but maybe that's because when I make it, I use a boxed mix. I'm thinking I need to try making it from scratch!

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 10:53pm
post #17 of 58

[quote="mandysue"... I use a boxed mix. I'm thinking I need to try making it from scratch![/quote]

You most certainly do! Like previous posters said, there are hundreds of recipes out there, so be prepared to try more than one. It truly is a love or hate relationship. I'm making RV cupcakes for my brother's housewarming this weekend, actually... using the recipe Bakerella posted on 2/22 because it just looks delicious!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Tiffany29 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:17pm
post #18 of 58

Cakeman Raven's recipe is good. I chaned a couple of things though.
Increase buttermilk to 1 1/2 c.
Decrease oil to 1c.
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1oz red food coloring
It was great! My 5 yr old loved it so much that she begged me for the frozen scraps. She said she didn't care if it was frozen it was so good!

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:29pm
post #19 of 58

born and raised in the south here... Nope not chocolate but small hint of cocoa taste. ALWAYS needs to have cream cheese frosting, never anything else, it should be against the law to serve any other frosting with it than cream cheese! LOL.

ALR1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALR1955 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:49pm
post #20 of 58

Ooooh, I don't like and I don't get the attraction that everyone seems to have with it.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:08am
post #21 of 58

I love the bright red red velvet cake with just a hint of chocolate. It's so moist and delicious. I have not tried Cakeman Raven's recipe, but I've been wanting too. Bobby Flay's recipe beat his on Throwdown. I think Bobby Flay used beets for an earthy red color. On the Food Network site though his recipe doesn't use beets. It's used red wine vinegar and food coloring. I use Paula Deen's recipe.

Tiffany29 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:27am
post #22 of 58

Paula Dean has 2 different recipes. Her RV cupcake one is the exact same as Cakeman Raven's RV recipe.
I noticed on DC cupcakes that they use red wine vinegar in their RV cupcakes too, but I wasn't sure what it why.

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:29am
post #23 of 58

So glad I seen this. I just tried Paula Deen's RV whoopi pies and hated them! I thought it was a crappy recipe but maybe I just don't like RV. Are the grocery store version usually pretty good? I think I should give it a 2nd chance. The pies were very dense, is that a RV thing?

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:43am
post #24 of 58

I can't make enough RV. Everybody knows I make them and whenever I do a family event, book club, etc. it is always RV.

Good to know it is supposed to have a touch of cocoa flavor. I developed my own recipe after not finding one I like. It seems to have all the flavors you all describe and it's super moist too!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:32am
post #25 of 58

Red Velvet is definitely NOT a chocolate cake, but a lot of people seem to think it is. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that the cake mix version is a chocolate cake mix with a lot of red food coloring thrown in, so that's why people think it's chocolate. The real red velvet is a buttermilk cake like other posters have said, but I still get people insisting that it's chocolate. When they did that Bobby Flay throwdown the woman who was helping him was giving him a lecture about red velvet not being chocolate in any way shape or form, which I thought was amusing.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:51am
post #26 of 58

I don't care for it either!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:51am
post #27 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Red Velvet is definitely NOT a chocolate cake, but a lot of people seem to think it is. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that the cake mix version is a chocolate cake mix with a lot of red food coloring thrown in, so that's why people think it's chocolate. The real red velvet is a buttermilk cake like other posters have said, but I still get people insisting that it's chocolate. When they did that Bobby Flay throwdown the woman who was helping him was giving him a lecture about red velvet not being chocolate in any way shape or form, which I thought was amusing.

maybe because most (that I have seen anyway) RV recipes call for cocoa powder? the chocolate taste is subtle for sure, I describe it as a tangy cake, probably due to the buttermilk or vinegar typically in the recipe.
it's yummy with cream cheese but definitely not my favorite flavor

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:56am
post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

maybe because most (that I have seen anyway) RV recipes call for cocoa powder? the chocolate taste is subtle for sure, I describe it as a tangy cake, probably due to the buttermilk or vinegar typically in the recipe.
it's yummy with cream cheese but definitely not my favorite flavor

It has a little, but not enough to make it taste like chocolate. It's a weird cake to try to describe to people, it has a taste all its own and you just can't describe what it tastes like.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:08am
post #29 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by au_decorator_76

born and raised in the south here... Nope not chocolate but small hint of cocoa taste. ALWAYS needs to have cream cheese frosting, never anything else, it should be against the law to serve any other frosting with it than cream cheese! LOL.

I disagree...LOL....I prefer the 'traditional' red velvet cake icing. Some call it Mary Kay Icing....it's my absolute favorite for red velvet. like auntginn said......

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:27 am Post subject:
I recently just started adding rv to my list of flavors offered. At first I made the box ones and doctored it with buttermilk and vinegar. Then out of curiosity I made from scratch and WOWIE!! what a difference.

It was also suggested to use cooked icing and I did that too. A little more labor intensive but well worth it.

Flies out the door around here.

KUUISMA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KUUISMA Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:19am
post #30 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany29

Paula Dean has 2 different recipes. Her RV cupcake one is the exact same as Cakeman Raven's RV recipe.
I noticed on DC cupcakes that they use red wine vinegar in their RV cupcakes too, but I wasn't sure what it why.

I think it was apple cider vinegar, not red wine. I tried it and it really does change the flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%