Can You Bake In Wilton Nut Cups?

Baking By connie1220 Updated 14 Dec 2010 , 7:58pm by CarolinaCakeMom

connie1220 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connie1220 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:04am
post #1 of 5

I was wondering if I can put batter and bake directly into Wilton's nut and party cups for cupcakes?

Thank you!

4 replies
msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:16am
post #2 of 5

I used to all the time, but in about the last year or so it seems they have this super shiny waxy coat on them. I am afraid it will either catch fire or contaminate the cake (don't really know enough to know if they actually will).

You can purchase souffle cups in various sizes from GFS if you have one close to you. I use the 4 oz. one. They didn't have them in the store, but they were able to order them in and were available for me to pick up the next day. I know they carry souffle cups at Restaurant Depot as well if you have one of those close by. But, my local store never seems to have the size I want.

JessicasSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicasSweets Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 5

I'm wondering the same thing. The wilton website states its "not intended for baking". Many websites I went to said that wax paper can not be baked unless fully coated by the baked item. Like u can't use it for cookies but u can for a cake. I dnt know this for sure but I tried it for cookies and all it did was smoke. I want to use these party cups to make single size serving for apple crisp. My ingredients will fill the cups but I'm scared that the wax will melt. But then again a lil wax never killed anyone..... I hope...

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 5

Don't use the Wilton nut cups, use paper portion cups instead you can get them in 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.25, & 4 oz sizes. They are grease proof AND can be used to bake in. Just don't place them in a cupcake tin. Put them on a half sheet or full sheet bun pan. They work and look beautiful!

CarolinaCakeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaCakeMom Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 5

I baked in the nut cups once. No fire, but once out of the oven, the cake slid down the sides. It was also very difficult for the kids to get into the cup. I had to rip each one myself. I needed these for the "popcorn" cupcakes. The second time I made these (in my photos), I baked in white liner then slipped into the decorated nut cup. I see that these cups are popular in Europe. They must use a different product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%