Lavender Buttercream Recipe?

Baking By ramie7224 Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 4:41pm by Kayakado

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 9

I'm trying to figure out how to make lavender buttercream for some lemon cupcakes. I checked the site for Lorann oils, but they don't have lavender. Anyone have a recipe or know somewhere else I can find an extract to make lavender buttercream?

8 replies
multicrafty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multicrafty Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 9

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Lavender.htm check out this website.

I have not used lavender in buttercream but I have made Lavender Sugar cookies using lavender flowers not extract or essential oil. it only takes a couple Tablespoons per batch. Too much will make it taste horrid... personaly I would only use the flowers when cooking I think the oils would be verrrry difficult to get the right flavor from. If you do not want the flowers in the frosting you could make a sugar infused with lavender by placing the lavender flowers with sugar in an airtight container for several weeks. The longer is sits the stronger the flavor would be. I suggest starting off with one week then taste the sugar to see if you like it.

PS. I'm also a soap / bath and body porducts maker and use Lavender alot.

ramie7224 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks so much for the link! If you shouldn't get the flowers from nurseries or florists, though, where is the best place to get them from that won't have used pesticides?

missantoinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missantoinette Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 9

what about loose tea leaves at a specialty tea store or health food store. I know where I live there is a lady that sells tons of loose tea and she has lavender flowers that are dried. Maybe grind them up really fine so that you don't have any large pieces and it releases the flavor as well. Hope it works, that sounds amazing!

multicrafty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multicrafty Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 9

Yep I recomend either ordering the flowers from some place online or a health food store. you want to be carefull with teas check the ingredients and make sure your getting just lavender and not other tea ingredients also.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 9

I buy culinary lavender from Penzeys. You can spin it in the food processor with sugar to grind it. You can melt butter and lavender, strain out the lavender for infused butter. You can brew the lavender with water for infused water. These are just a few of the possibilities. Do an interet search for lavender recipes and see how they incorporate it into the recipe.

I would only use culinary lavender, it is certified as safe for human consumption.

missantoinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missantoinette Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 9

I like the infused water idea. It would work perfectly with a meringue buttercream recipe!

ramie7224 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for all of the ideas! I'll have to check the local farmers market and see if they sell loose leaves, otherwise I'll just get some online.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 9

I think what you want are flowers not leaves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%