Can I Use Thinned Americolor Gel Colors In My Airbrush?

Decorating By hollyberry91 Updated 10 Aug 2010 , 7:13pm by cmnycakes

hollyberry91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyberry91 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 7

I really want to airbrush something brown for a cake im doing tonight but i don't have any brown air brush color. I do however have americolor brown gel color. Can i thin it with water or vanilla or vodka and use it or will it clog my airbrush? Are there any airbrush colors i can mix to make brown? The airbrush colors i have are americolor: leaf green, lemon yellow, sky blue, holiday red, and soft pink. Thanks!!

6 replies
judyj2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judyj2 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 7

I read on another site you can mix about a tablespoon of vodka with your gel colour and use it in your airbrush. HTH

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 7

You are taking a chance on clogging your airbrush and it wouldn't be worth it to me.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 7

I've done it - and didn't clog anything. Just thin it with vodka till it is almost like water. A couple of drops of color in an ounce of vodka or clear vanilla should work.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:10am
post #5 of 7

I did it in a pinch too, and it worked fine. I actually put the color and the vodka in a small container and shook the devil out of it before using to make sure it was all mixed really well. I also made sure to clean out the airbrush really well after doing this. AND I would not make a habit of doing it! In a pinch, it worked. (I ran out of black)

abayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abayes Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:22am
post #6 of 7

I do it all the time never had any problem I just rinse my brush out really well

cmnycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmnycakes Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 7

Nah...it won't clog anything. In fact, I hate using "airbrush colors" as they tend to be full of water when they should really be thinned with vodka so it dries quicker.

Plus, if it clogs (which can happen with any color if you don't clean it out), that's the perfect time to get acquainted with the inner workings of your airbrush and open it up to clean it. An airbrush can pretty much never be permanently clogged. It's designed to be able to cleaned and cleared of any clogs by disassembling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%