Decorating By Gee39 Updated 19 Dec 2010 , 12:20pm by PrivateNameHere

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 2:15am
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmylife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALVARGA

Try strawberry jam. Use it either alone or mix with buttercream filling. I just did a Groom's cake with raspberry jam mixed with buttercream. Made a great filling. Hope this helps.

I've done this as well & it comes out good mixed with the BC. Most of the time when I have someone ask for a strawberry filling, I usually use strawberry preserves (it has nice little chunks of berries in it). The brand I get is very thick (you couldn't pour it...it has to be spread).

Chunky strawberry preserves are my DH's favorite filling and it looks beautiful when you slice into the cake. I've had success with softening the preserves in the microwave to make it easier to spread.

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:04am
post #32 of 36

you can also rinse half of the filling under water in a collander to get rid of some of the "goo", then just mix the rest of the filling into the fruit. It's the same filling, just a little less gooey. best of luck!!

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 7:43pm
post #33 of 36

I mix up a pound of strawberries with 1/3c sugar and 2-4T cornstarch on the stovetop and mush and stir until thickened, then use that for my filling. It's awesome.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 8:04pm
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohayr639

Sorry to jump in but I have a question:

How thick do you make your filling? (By thick I mean not consistency but like how much do you put between layers?)

I have always used the height of my BC dam as my guide. For my dam, I use a coupler in my piping bag. I keep the height of my filling below the height of my dam. Never have had a problem. HTH

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 1:27am
post #35 of 36

my filling is usually about 3/4" thick. The way i was taught is the layers of cake and filling should be the same thickness

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 12:20pm
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrygirls

my filling is usually about 3/4" thick. The way i was taught is the layers of cake and filling should be the same thickness

Holy cow! This would be too much for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%