My Local Grocery Chain Is Now Offering....

Decorating By SweetPatsy Updated 10 Aug 2010 , 11:57am by Karen421

SweetPatsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPatsy Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 7:10am
post #1 of 16

Tiered birthday cakes for around 35 bucks. I think they had 3 tiers.

15 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:23am
post #2 of 16

May I ask where you are located? That sounds like the prices around my area... icon_lol.gif

No way are they making any money on those cakes. That's crazy.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:53am
post #3 of 16

how can they do that? typical 1/4 sheets run $16, half sheets $25, and full for around $45 here in Arkansas the 'land of the cheapos' i just can't see that being a sound business move.

SweetPatsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPatsy Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:17am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

May I ask where you are located? That sounds like the prices around my area... icon_lol.gif

No way are they making any money on those cakes. That's crazy.

It was at Ingles Grocery Store in Greenville, SC

Here is what one of them looks like:
LL

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:22am
post #5 of 16

THAT for $35 .......... Holy Crap! I'm Glad there aren't any of those stores where I live!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:28am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

THAT for $35 .......... Holy Crap! I'm Glad there aren't any of those stores where I live!

lol, me too!
but come to think of it I'm sure most grocery store decorators won't make it look that nice. can you imagine the poorly iced/stacked disasters that will be coming out of that bakery?
(no offense to grocery store decorators, I used to be one, but realized quickly the store doesn't give a hoot who's doing it or if they have any real talent)

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:35am
post #7 of 16

Yeah, I've seen at Lucky's what they call specialty cakes or something. They are two tiers and $50, quickly airbrushed with plastic stuff on them.

I was at one kids party and she was saying how expensive they are....cough...cough....anyway, it tasted about how you would expect it to taste....like grocery cake. I wasn't impressed, but hey it's high end stuff for some folks.

cakesbyamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamber Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:36am
post #8 of 16

Wow. That's kind of scary because you know that if it goes over well with that store Walmart will try it out next! Mbark, you have a good point! It's kind of comforting that the actual product most likely will not turn out like the picture!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:42am
post #9 of 16

At our store the actual product looked like a mess to me, but the people at the party were going nuts over it.

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:48am
post #10 of 16

My sister actually ordered that cake (she lives across the country in Mass. icon_sad.gif ) and it looked awful! It is a quarter sheet on the bottom, and airbrushed. Her's had the same color ribbon as frosting and the writing was in pink for a boy! I'm sure it depends on the decorator, but it won't look like that...

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:59am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyamber

Wow. That's kind of scary because you know that if it goes over well with that store Walmart will try it out next! Mbark, you have a good point! It's kind of comforting that the actual product most likely will not turn out like the picture!

thumbs_up.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:04am
post #12 of 16

just goes to show you, you get what you pay for!

shawneen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawneen Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:15am
post #13 of 16

Go figure I saw that exact same cake at a store in my area but they are charging $45 here. I guess they figure Nebraskans will pay more for cakes?!?

And I have had one of their cakes before at a wedding - bland, bland, and extremely dry. I needed a full glass of water just to get my little slice down.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:52am
post #14 of 16

I predict lots of fodder for CakeWrecks in the future icon_biggrin.gif

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 11:36am
post #15 of 16

That's just outrageous!! $35?? These people are mad for selling something like this and at that price. What it seems like is they are trying to give cusomers another option for their event, in stead of the regular round or sheet cake. At the same time, try to downplay how much work and effort we cake decorators put into creating a beauitful cake. Even price wise, there is no way we could charge $35 for a cake like this.

Then we could look at it in this manner, their end product looks like someone child did it AND tase like crap, lol. which results in an unhappy customer who will in turn use a real cake decorator, US!

WOWWWWWWW is all I can say!!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 11:57am
post #16 of 16

WOW - That picture is really cute! icon_eek.gif $35.00 icon_eek.gif From a grocery story -Amazing. That grocery story has a great decorator and better give them a raise!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%