To Simple Syrup Or Not To Simple Syrup,that Is The Question

Decorating By divinecc Updated 8 Aug 2010 , 7:41pm by cake-angel

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 4

I have heard different things about brushing simple syrup on cakes, some swear by it and others say it makes the tops of there cakes gummy. I have started baking my cakes letting them cool about 15-20 minutes, wrap and put in freezer. What are the purposes of simple syrup and does it make the cakes gummy on top? TIA icon_wink.gif

3 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 4

I too would like to know what others think! I have never tried this either...just laziness probably...one more thing I have to do.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 4

Like you have found, it works for some and not for others.
It can rescue a cake that's slightly over done, but more often is used to add something extra - like lemon syrup, alcohols, coffee...
Try it and see, it's the only way you will know if it works for you!
xx

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 4

I generally use symple syrup to add another dimension of flavor to a cake. I use it between layers of cake and I haven't ever brushed it on the top surface of a cake. I have never had it turn a cake gummy but then again I am not trying to soak the cake in it just brush an eveng coating of it onto a torted section both top and bottom before adding filling and putting it together. Simple syrup for me is not done on every cake. I just use it when I feel the need to bump up the flavors in a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%