Kopykake Just Told Me That Regular Ink Is Food Safe????!!!

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 1:38am by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Cakers!

Please help me out here. I have a Canon ip4700 printer. It is used for caking only. I have edible inks from Kopykake and frosting sheets.

Well, my black does not want to print. I just purchased the ink a few months ago and only used it a few times. No way it is out already? My ink status still shows that both blacks are full.

So, I call Rudy at Technical Support. He tells me to take out the food safe color from them and insert the Canon black ink that came with my printer???? He said that the ink is NOT Kosher, but it is safe to consume and will not hurt anyone. He said it was not FDA approved.

WTF? I am afraid to take out my edible ink and replace with the regular ink.

Thoughts??

Michael

6 replies
SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 7

It might be non toxic, but that doesn't mean edible.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 7

Nooooooo. Call back and speak with a supervisor, that is SO wrong!! icon_eek.gif

Mikel79 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 7

I know!!

Something just is not right with this! The guy sounded like he was in his car and in a rush.

I did NOT do this. I took the black cart. out and checked them myself. They were full of black ink???? I wiped the bottoms off to clean. Inserted them back and prayed to God.

Guess what.......it WORKED!!! OMG!!! Printing just fine.

If I would have taken this guy's help, God only know's what would have happened!!!

Thanks
Michael

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 7

I just did a few minutes of research and came up with this from ehow.com:
Toxicity
The good news is that while printer ink can cause an upset stomach if ingested, it is not fatal. In most cases, it is not even necessary to call poison control. Getting printer ink on your skin is no more harmful than drawing on yourself with a pen.
What Is Printer Ink Made Of?
Printer inks are a combination of humectants, resins, fungicides, biocides and distilled surfactants. They can be either dye- or pigment-based. Pigment inks are often preferred since they are waterproof and fade-resistant. Dye- based inks, while brighter in color, are slow to dry and tend to fade more quickly.

Personally, putting the humectatnts, and resins aside, the fungicides adn biocides scare me. If printer ink was safe to eat, I would not be in business, nor would Kopykake.
Glad you went with your guts. If anyone ever has troubles with a bad clog and cant get anywhere with their supplier, please contact me. I will be glad to help you the non-toxic way! You do not have to be a customer of mine to receive help.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 7

kopycake told my husband regular print ink was ok to use too!!!!

Mikel79 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:38am
post #7 of 7

icingimages...

I appericate the nice offer for assistance! I will re-think my next purchase when I need Frosting Sheets and Edible ink...

ddaigle...

Geesh! What the heck is going on. Noone should be telling folks that regular printer ink is ok....

Thanks Folks!

Michael

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%