One Of Those Nights With One Of Those Cakes

Decorating By ramie7224 Updated 2 Sep 2010 , 12:39pm by millermom

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 1:03am
post #1 of 12

I think I jinxed myself earlier by replying to a thread about freaking out and cursing in the kitchen when things don't quite go your way.....I'm making a cake for a friend's baby shower and am on attempt #3. I'm using the heart shaped Wilton pan and couldn't remember how much batter went in it (should've just googled it) so I guessed. Incorrectly. The damn thing overflowed and left a burning, stinking mass of cake on the bottom of the oven. icon_redface.gif So, I tried again. This time I burnt myself getting the stupid thing out and dropped it on the floor! icon_mad.gif So now I'm on attempt #3 and thinking that this is going to be one of those long nights where I intermittently cry, curse, and take shots of whatever "medicinal" liquid might be lurking in my cabinets.

11 replies
erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 2:03am
post #2 of 12

Ahhh...that stinks! Nights like that my DH is like, "why do you do this to yourself?" and I say, "because this is fun, darnit!". LOL. Take a breath (and a drink) because it's always worse when you are stressed!

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:18am
post #3 of 12

I know when I start getting tired, well, then things like that start happening! It's like a snowball effect. Just take a deep breath and don't try to rush. I know it's hard but that's when the mistakes start piling up and up and up. My mother had an old saying: haste makes waste. I always start repeating that to myself as a reminder. I know your 3rd try will come out fine. icon_smile.gif

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:20am
post #4 of 12

I come to a point in every cake endeavor where I ask, "WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF!!! That's usually about midway through decorating, when I'm second guessing myself and things aren't going as easy as I expected them to. Then, toward the end, when things start coming together, I get the epiphany, "OH! THIS is why I do this! Because I LOVE IT!" LOL icon_biggrin.gif

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:43am
post #5 of 12

Deep breath, deep breath.

I can't get my corners even to save my life tonight. Cake is due tomorrow evening, so I'm not freaking out yet. Do what I'm doing....walk away for a few minutes and browse CC until you're not feeling stabby anymore. thumbs_up.gif

ramie7224 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 5:10am
post #6 of 12

Thanks so much for all the reassurance! I came close to just chucking it in the trash and stopping by Wal-Mart in the morning, but I'd never forgive myself if I did! A fifteen minute break made all the difference. Cake 3 came out better than the first two but I don't think I'll ever use that stinkin' pan again! Had to do a lot of patching as the very center of the cake stuck. Thank God for fondant and covering up that mess! It looks much better now, and I'm as happy with it as I'm going to be. I'll post pics in the AM. I'm bushed and tired of looking at it!

ramie7224 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 12

Here's the cake that gave me so much trouble. For something that shouldn't have been that difficult it sure was a PITA.[/img]

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:58pm
post #8 of 12

There's no pic!!! icon_sad.gif

ramie7224 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 12

I know icon_redface.gif I saved it as a bmp file and I'm trying to re-size it so I can upload, but its stretching all weird. I'll keep trying and re-post once I figure it out!

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 12

GEEEEEEEEZ This cake really gave you a run for your $$$$ ~
even to the point of a problem posting a pic of it!!!
Deep breath ~ exhale ~ etc etc etc icon_smile.gif

tw1nkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tw1nkle Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:53am
post #11 of 12

icon_smile.gif This reminds of a cake a couple of saturday's ago - my hubby asks how everything is going, I reply 'well, I'm up to the stage where I feel like throwing up and crying - so I guess it's going well and I'm nearly finished' LMAO icon_smile.gif

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 12:39pm
post #12 of 12

I majored in Clothing and Textiles in college, and one of my professors always said "Never sew after 9:00 at night, or you will end up hating the project forever."

It sounds like good advice, but I'd like to know WHEN we are supposed to do these things, especially when we have a day job or kids! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%