Dilemma, Need Your Opinions, Please :)

Decorating By cakesbyperla Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 6:34pm by cakesbyperla

cakesbyperla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyperla Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 8

I got a call from a market for an interview for a cake decorator position.
It will consist of decorating a cake in buttercream and a cupcake. The interview is scheduled for Thursday and cannot be changed. I currently have a part-time job and we have training on that Thursday. I'm torn! I like my current job because it pays the bills but if I could decorate and get paid for it, that would be awesome! But there are a total of 5 candidates for the position so there is no guarantee I would get it. What would you do?
Thanks in advance!
Perla icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 8

if they have 5 more candidate I bet they will have a big time frame to interview people. I would tell them that I have another commitment that cannot be changed but that I'm really interested in the interview and would love to go at any other time. Ask them if there is any chance that you can go at another time. There is nothing wrong with it and speaks of your character that you keep your commitments.
Plus if its not guaranteed i will not jeopardized my current job. Good luck!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:57am
post #3 of 8

I don't think I'd say, "cannot be changed." If you do that, it's kind of an ulitmatum and you'll back yourself into a corner. Other than that, it sounds good.
Is the training all day? If not, I wonder if could they work the interview around the time. If so, can the interview be first thing in the morning or the last one of the day?

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:19am
post #4 of 8

I agree, don't jeopardize your current job. Surely they know you are working and would mostly likely be willing to work with you. They should respect your situation. If not, do you really want to work for someone like that?

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:24am
post #5 of 8

As a recruiter, I respect the individuals who respect their current employers. I would just explain that you have a commitment for your employer that you are not able to get out of and you are not the type of person to break those commitments. If they don't understand, then I would question whether or not I would want to work there.

I understand that they are just trying to get everyone in on the same day but life happens!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:38am
post #6 of 8

Jenny is right. I've been in the position of hiring people and when people are up front and honest about their current job and their responsiblity to that employer it goes a long LONG way in building confidence in what kind of employee they would be if I hired them.

I'd explain the situation, maybe they would be flexible enough to let you come in early and do your sample decorating.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:41am
post #7 of 8

yea, i would think there was something seriously wrong with this company if they can't give you another time for the interview. I would not want to jeopardize my current job and if I could get an interview to change my position then I would want to schedule it around my work schedule...this is very odd to me and I would like to know what happens when you call the place you are interviewing with? icon_smile.gif

cakesbyperla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyperla Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:34pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all your help! icon_biggrin.gif
Update: So my boss didn't reserve my spot for the training. Funny thing is she is always on top of things. I think it was intentional but anyways I found out on Wednesday and didn't have time to practice my buttercream skills. I almost didn't go to the interview but I did.

OMG! I had to decorate a cupcake and a small cake in front of 3 people watching me! Usually its my cat that watches me.

They provided 2 metal spatulas, several tips, green & red coloring, stir sticks but they didn't have couplers icon_sad.gif I decorated the cupcake with leaves all around and a giant pink flower. It was decent but not fabulous. The cake was a disaster, my crumb coat was not sticking to the cake, I made a funny border with the leaf tip. I made the best of it by explaining that this was my first decorating interview and how it was a learning experience. They were very kind. I should hear from them today or tomorrow. They did ask if i was interested in a different position in the bakery dept.

I will master buttercream! thumbs_up.gif

On a different note, I have an appointment at a kitchen incubator tomorrow to tour it and discuss the requirements icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%