Modelling Chocolate

Decorating By brian1974 Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 10:35pm by drakegore

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 5

I noticed when watching various cake shows that they always seem to have varied colored moddelling chocolate available.

Is this pre bought or do they make it using candy melts and then store it?

If they store it, how long does it keep.

Thanks

Brian

4 replies
mimi1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi1218 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 5

Hi Brian,

I made my own modeling chocolate from a recipe on All recipes . com
It was super simple- melted a bag of chocolate chips in a double boiler then added the corn syrup, mixed it til it formed a ball then put in in plastic wrap like it said to. You do have to make it at least a day in advance because you have to let it cool over night.

It was a dream to work with the next day. I rolled it out just like fondant, used a bit of powdered sugar and bam- covered the cake. It was delicious too!
It used it instead of fondant when I made a purse cake http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1757846.html

Hope this helps

scorpio711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scorpio711 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 5

Hi Brian check out squires kichen on the web. They do the most beautiful colours for chocolate. I thing also you can get some stuff from squires kitchen off Global Sugar Art. Here in UK you can get ready made modelling chocolate. Hope this helps

scorpio711

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 5

You can use white chocolate and tint it with either candy or icing colors. There are several recipes out there (including Wilton) that can help.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 5

i would recommend using candy colors (oil based) if you are adding to the liquid form of MC, but if you can use regular gel colors once the chocolate is aged and ready to knead.

if you want a dark color start with chocolate MC because you will have to add to much color to get to where you want to go and it will change the consistency of your MC,

or, even easier, use colored candy melt to make MC.

if tightly wrapped it can be stored for quite a while. i keep mine in the fridge for about 6 weeks, but i suspect it can longer.

diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%