Cake Not Level - Should I Offer A Refund?

Decorating By Kandykin Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 1:38pm by kansaslaura

Kandykin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandykin Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 15

cake is visibly not level. I put a fresh raspberry filling and I have no idea how this happened, but it looks bad. From the front it looks great and I can get a couple of good pictures too, but if you look at it from the side, theres a centimeter difference(in the level) from the front of the cake to the back. The filling is no problem because I have used it before with great success. My problem right now is that the cake is due in 2 hrs and no way of correcting it...so should I offer a refund? Its for a friend and I've already given a 25% discount. Any thoughts on it? TIA

14 replies
Jeana77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeana77 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 15

I wouldn't mention anything about it to the client. If they notice it and say something to you, then you could possibly return a portion of their money.

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 15

Because it isn't perfect? I say "No refund".
Cakes are art and food. It should look like a human made it.

I made a wedding cake, a couple of weeks ago and I hit the cake with my thumb nail as I was reaching for the box to put it in. I made a small "fondant" band-aid and put it over the small crease in the back of the cake. I told the bride what I did and she looked a me like, Okay, so?
She said the cake was awesome!

Kandykin Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 15

thank you guys - I am so upset. It does look ok from the front....

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 15

Sometimes when I make a cake that doesn't look as level as I think it should...I put some kind of embellishment on the top where it is too low to take the eye away from the crooked side.Works everytime!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 15

Ok. you're going to think I'm terrible! icon_redface.gif

I've had a cake or two that was off kilter, so I set it up so the lower part was in the back. In an exaggerated sense, the cake was leaning backwards. Twice, someone asked "Is that cake leaning a bit?" and I said .......

"Oh yes, we engineer it that way for the photographer. See, if I 'tilt' the cake back just a micro, then it's at a better angle so the photographer can get a great front shot of it for the bride! It helps elminated bad angles and shadowing."

I swear, both times the person did the "Ohhhhhhh! I didn't know that!" thing! icon_lol.gif

Hey! Whatever works for ya!! icon_rolleyes.gif

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I've had a cake or two that was off kilter, so I set it up so the lower part was in the back. In an exaggerated sense, the cake was leaning backwards. Twice, someone asked "Is that cake leaning a bit?" and I said .......

"Oh yes, we engineer it that way for the photographer. See, if I 'tilt' the cake back just a micro, then it's at a better angle so the photographer can get a great front shot of it for the bride! It helps elminated bad angles and shadowing."

I swear, both times the person did the "Ohhhhhhh! I didn't know that!" thing! icon_lol.gif

Oh my goodness that is hysterical!!!!! I will remember that icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:48am
post #8 of 15

LOVE IT!

I've chuckled SOOO many times over your "Is this white cake or yellow cake" story.

Debi's meeting with a bride and serving samples of "white" cake, but she was working fast as she made the samples and put in whole eggs instead of just egg whites. Naturally, the cake came out more yellowish than white. When the bride asked, "Is this white cake or yellow cake?" Debi responded, "Oh that's BRIDAL white cake. I add yolks to my regular white cake to make it richer for wedding cake."

Instantly happy bride.

Kandykin Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:00am
post #9 of 15
Quote:

LMAO! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

That was my first thought too - let them think I meant to do it. icon_biggrin.gif
I did make the higher part my front and you couldn't tell untill you stood on the side that it wasn't level. And kiddiecakes, thankfully my design included a bunch of wired stars(in a straw) that was going to be in the lower end - so I got that covered too icon_smile.gif

Well, she just picked up the cake and was thrilled with it. I did mention to her that I would have liked it if it was more level than what it was. Before I could offer her a further discount, she just laughed it off and said she wouldn't have noticed if I didn't mention it and that she can make sure the pictures are taken from the front! How nice is that?! And to top that, she paid $10.00 more than what I quoted! Yay!

Kandykin Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:03am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

LOVE IT!

I've chuckled SOOO many times over your "Is this white cake or yellow cake" story.

Debi's meeting with a bride and serving samples of "white" cake, but she was working fast as she made the samples and put in whole eggs instead of just egg whites. Naturally, the cake came out more yellowish than white. When the bride asked, "Is this white cake or yellow cake?" Debi responded, "Oh that's BRIDAL white cake. I add yolks to my regular white cake to make it richer for wedding cake."

Instantly happy bride.

I have so much to learn icon_biggrin.gif

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:58am
post #11 of 15

Oh my, these stories are so entertaining! I wouldn't be so clever to think of those responses so quickly. You ladies are totally on the ball!

Lisa-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa-lou Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 6:52am
post #12 of 15

LOL, Kandykin so do I. Think I'll continue to look and learn in the hope that some of these quick witted responses will rub off on me.

Kandykin Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:00pm
post #13 of 15

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

sharridee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharridee Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:22pm
post #14 of 15

Sometimes when this happens to me, I cut a small piece of carboard and shim it up abit. lol

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:38pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:

No one warned me this was a hip-boot episode! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%