Help - My Feet And Back Are Killing Me!

Decorating By BlueBurd Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 2:56pm by ddaigle

BlueBurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueBurd Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 21

What do you do to prevent/minimize foot and back pain while decorating?

• Special shoes? What kind?
    Ergonomic/Anti-fatigue mat? Does it help?
    Drafting or other type of chair/stool?
    Any helpful hints?

I'm vertically challenged, so tips from fellow oompa-loompas out there would be appreciated!

Thanks icon_smile.gif
icon_sad.gif

20 replies
linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 21

I hear you - decorating, especially when it takes hours at a time, can be a real drag on the back and shoulders.

Try getting one of those rubber mats that chefs use in their kitchens especially if you have ceramic tile floor in your kitchen.

Take frequent breaks and make sure you are drinking water and eating occassionally. Especially keeping hydrated (I forgot to do this when I am working and then end up with a bad headache on top of the sore back).

Use braces on your elbow and wrists too if that is a problem (tennis elbow or carpal tunnel).

Good Luck........

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 21

I wear my crocs in the kitchen while baking.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 21

suggestion: buy one of those tables like you see in elementary classrooms that has adjustable legs. Then can get it to just the right O-L height.

Sam's Club has several that adjust.

I have this one:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=103425&searchTerm=Lifetime%AE%20Adjustable%20Fold-in-Half%20Table#desc

I got it because if folds up to take less space when not needed.

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 21

I have heard that the Sketchers Shape-up shoes are very good for this. The rubber soles are gigantic and squishy with support. I have a couple of cake friends that swear by them for working in the kitchen...

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 21

I bought some mats at bed bath and beyond a few months ago that have help alot. Cheaper than the expensive anti fatigue mats really thick rubber backing and rubber patterned top.

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 9:38pm
post #8 of 21

I find standing with my legs about hip width apart helps considerably. And of course wear spongey shoes. I agree, crocs (hideous though they are) are the best thing for long periods in the kitchen!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 10:42pm
post #9 of 21

I sit at the kitchen table whenever possible. I used to think that I needed to be standing up to work on things, but two years ago I broke my leg and I learned then that the only thing you really absolutely have to be standing for is rolling out fondant. Almost everything else works just as well when you're sitting.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 11:14pm
post #10 of 21

Like everyone said; good rubber soled shoes really make a difference, and having an anti-fatigue mat helps even more! I REALLY REALLY love my Klogs for work! thumbs_up.gif

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 1:50am
post #11 of 21

Leaned over cakes all day/night will actually bring me to tears some days. 9 years ago I was in a car accident and broke my back, L2 compression fracture. I was very lucky because I can still walk. The accident also caused most of my disks to become injured. I count my blessings because although I'm in pain I can still walk, run, play, dance... Cake decorating can be murder on my back but I am my own boss so I can take breaks or even stop for the day and lay down. This is something I enjoy doing and I feel lucky to be given a second chance so I won't complain! (I wasn't supossed to live, had tramatic internal brain injuries also)
~Kim

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:03am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I sit at the kitchen table whenever possible. I used to think that I needed to be standing up to work on things, but two years ago I broke my leg and I learned then that the only thing you really absolutely have to be standing for is rolling out fondant. Almost everything else works just as well when you're sitting.

just like you see with Duff's crew on Ace of Cakes

most are sitting.

we're given a tookis nicely padded (and for some ::cough cough:: overstuffed) so use it and take a load of the feet!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:07am
post #13 of 21

I have a high table and a stool that is the perfect height. Not having to bend or reach to do a lot of the work takes a huge amount of stress off the back.

susieqhomemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieqhomemaker Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:21am
post #14 of 21

I finally got a anti-fatigue mat and it helps so much. I also try to sit as much as possible.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:42am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbordeaux

Leaned over cakes all day/night will actually bring me to tears some days. 9 years ago I was in a car accident and broke my back, L2 compression fracture. I was very lucky because I can still walk. The accident also caused most of my disks to become injured. I count my blessings because although I'm in pain I can still walk, run, play, dance... Cake decorating can be murder on my back but I am my own boss so I can take breaks or even stop for the day and lay down. This is something I enjoy doing and I feel lucky to be given a second chance so I won't complain! (I wasn't supossed to live, had tramatic internal brain injuries also)
~Kim

Wow. You are one lucky lady...truly blessed to have a second chance. I'll think of you next time I feel a neckache and start complaining! Thanks for the perspective. thumbs_up.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 1:08pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbordeaux

~Kim

Wow. You are one lucky lady...truly blessed to have a second chance. I'll think of you next time I feel a neckache and start complaining! Thanks for the perspective. thumbs_up.gif

Agreed!!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:24pm
post #17 of 21

I have a simple bar stool that I use in the kitchen. and I decorate my cakes sitting down at the table.

BlueBurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueBurd Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 12:55am
post #18 of 21

Thank you so much everyone for the wonderful advice! Appreciate everything!

kimbordeaux: thanks for adding some perspective to the situation - hope you continue to recover and enjoy your cake art! icon_smile.gif

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:17am
post #19 of 21

used crocs the first 5 years in the bakery. Started haveing extreme back and leg pain. Chiropractor put me back together and I ordered a set of orthodic inserts from him. What a godsend. they have lessened my back feet and knee pain.

I also built a cake decorating room that has rolling office chairs that set up to counters to decorate at. Works great!

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:46am
post #20 of 21

I bit a big bullet and have a gel pro mat. It is in front of my sink for the repeated dish washing sessions. Best investment next to my kitchen aid mixer! I also try to swim at least once a week. That really helps with my back. I also visit the chiro after big caking weekends. I have L4 bulging disk so keeping my back happy is a priority!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 2:56pm
post #21 of 21

Off Road Crocs. I wear them for over 12 hours every day and my feet nor back do not hurt. I rarely sit to decorate too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%