Fondant Cakes..question

Decorating By AliciaHuntley Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 2:55pm by Malakin

AliciaHuntley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AliciaHuntley Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 3

i am new to everything i have done 3 fondant cakes so far n i have been using the box cakes.. i would like to know what kind of cake is best for doing fondant cakes, with carving and everything... also what is the best base icing for the cake? icon_redface.gif please help me!!

2 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 3

Many people use box cakes and many will use them but add an extender recipe like the White Almond Sour Cream Cake. As for the icing - there are many opinions on this. Some People use buttercream and others (more recently) use ganache for under fondant. I haven't tried ganache under fondant yet and butercream works fine for me. The biggest trick to mastering fondant is to practice. There are a ton of threads on this site and on You tube about covering cakes in fondant. To get the most effective search on this site use the little search word in the purple tab after you open the forums section and you will be able to get good search results of the forums. If you use the Large search tab at the top of the site you will have trouble finding what you are looking for. Hope this helps you.

Happy caking and Welcome to Cake Central! It is a great site full of information.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 3

I use WASC and variations of this with all the flavors. I also use Sharon Zambito's (Sugarshack's) recipe for bc and it works really good and always holds up well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%