Disaster Waiting To Happen?

Decorating By JuneHawk Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 3:11pm by LisaPeps

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 4

I've never used SMBC before to cover a cake so I had no idea how it would work out. I just put a coat of it on a cake that I will be covering with fondant. My concern is that it melted very quickly and got quite...hmm...soupy, so to speak. I'm concerned that will totally melt off the cake underneath the buttercream since this cake will be outside some of the time. I was going to put on a thick coat but I decided against because of the melting issues.

Did I shoot myself in the foot by using SMBC in Miami in the summer???

3 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 4

SMBC and IMBC both are not good summertime icings for outside events. I have used up to 1/3 shortning in place of the same amount of butter to raise the melting point some, but neither of these do well outside at al in the heatl. Sorry to be the bad news bear here.

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 4

Well, the fondant just tore when I put it in on the cake so I'm thinking I'm going to scrape it all up and make a new batch of crusting buttercream and use that. Argh.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 4

My sister decided to tell me she wanted a cake at about 3pm the day before she needed it for (This is the 2nd time she's done this even though she knows my cakin' process ¬_¬)... it's all good practice though I guess. I had to bake the day she told me and ice the following day and I only had IMBC on hand (I usually use ganache).
It was awful, the fondant just kept ripping and sliding and then when I took it off it would take half the icing with it too. I had to cover and recover 4 times and by the 4th time I was about 30mins-1hr away from the deadline. When I tried to smooth the cake, the icing would just smear about underneath until it found a tiny whole it wanted to erupt out of and make into a gaping hole >icon_surprised.gif I swore at my mum :S I was evil that day icon_sad.gif Because it was for my sister and her friends, I only took ingredient money. They loved it and said it tasted amazing, was a hit at the party, but I was soooo embarrassed by it.
It's safe to say I'll be sticking to ganache...until my sister decides to spring ANOTHER cake on me... grumble grumble...
IMBC and SMBC will only be for cuppies in this household, I learnt that the hard way xD
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%