Can I Use The Can Sprays Instead Of Investing In Airbrush?

Decorating By cfp8 Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 7:53pm by dinascakes

cfp8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfp8 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 7

I am looking into airbrush kits, but I'm not sure if I want to invest right now (I just bought the Agbay cake leveler - icon_biggrin.gif ). In the meantime, can I use the canned spray colors (I saw a few brands including Duff's Graffiti sprays)?

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
cohen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohen1 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 7

As long as they are edible and foodsafe sprays then yes. I have used the wilton one's in the past, they work ok. Just cover everything and especially the areas on the cake where you dont want coverage.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 7

You certainly CAN use them, but don't expect to get the same results as you would with an airbrush. I don't have an airbrush either, and I've used the Wilton cans a couple of times with mediocre results. I haven't tried Duff's, though.

cfp8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfp8 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

but don't expect to get the same results as you would with an airbrush

What are the differences in the results (i.e., wetter looking, etc)?

Thanks!

whidbeywifey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whidbeywifey Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 7

I absolutley LOVE duff's cake graffti. its super easy to work with and the colors look amazing when i use them. I to would like to invest in an airbrush kit but until then they work great other then the limited color selection but I imagine with time you could layer the colors to combine them.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 7

I can't comment on the graffiti sprays, but I'm not a fan of the Wilton sprays. If you are lucky enough to purchase cans that actually have a working nozzle, you'll get average coverage that needs several coats before achieving the final result expected (which goes along with a greater chance for runs, spurts, and splotches). Black turns out to be dark gray, compared to using an airbrush. I'll stick to using my airbrushes because it's not worth the trouble for the results I get. I thought it would be a convenience, but it's not. Perhaps if you only needed light coverage occasionally it would work for you, however, try a different brand than Wilton.

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 7

I don't know about the Duff sprays bu thte Wilton ones stink! They come out all spotty and the cake looks terrible! Ruined a cake I did for a 15's and then had to end up painting the whole cake to cover up the spots. UGH! tHAT WAS FRUSTRATING!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%