Cup Cake Challenge

Baking By MommaDukes Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 1:26am by iluvpeeks

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:09am
post #1 of 6

I made the sinking, shrinking red velvet cup cakes last week and sent to work with my husband. The guys were whinning I hadn't sent anything in a while.
Yesterday one of the other guys in the office, (he works for a very large company) comes around with a cupcake for him (cute decoration on top they whole bit) and tells him the challenge is on! His wife sent cupcakes and the challenge is on!!

I tell DH, OK she wins, I can't bake a cupcake they sink and shrink.

I am thinking this can be fun for the guys and ladies in the office.

I need a recipe and directions to WOW them, can yall help me, please???

5 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 6

I made a bunch of mini cuppies for a chamber of commerce event last week. I did 2 flavors = Grasshopper (Dk. Choc cake with Creme De Menth and a ganache dipped top with Andes Candy pieces sprinkled on top) and a French vanilla cuppie with a brandy cinnamon buttercream with a cinnimon glaze drizzle. PM me if you want the full recipes. They were both a big hit and can also be done as a full sized cupcake.

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 6

MamaDukes
There is a thread on here called "how to get your cupcakes to dome".
Read through this thread. There are some excellent suggestions. Cakejournal also has an article on this. I think you bake the cupcakes at 400 for 5 minutes, than change the temp to 325 and continue baking. I tried it, and every cupcake domed beautifully. It didn't matter if it was a vanilla cupcake or chocolate. It did work, but read through what I suggested to make sure of the time and temp.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 6

Here is a link to a recipe I've used many times and they dome beautifully without doing anything.

http://www.food.com/recipe/Magnolia-Bakerys-Chocolate-Cupcakes-312632

Now, to help you be successful, here are my tips (you may already do some of these so I'm not trying to be insulting - just making sure):

1. This recipe makes 24 cupcakes and I use a hand held electric cuisinart beater not my paddle with my KA. I don't know why but it works better that way. Use a large bowl so you can make sure all your ingredients are mixed very well. Stop the beater and take your spatula and turn over the batter (don't stir or you will take all the air out of it). Make sure you don't see streaks of butter or flour etc. before you put them into the tins. If your ingredients are not mixed well some of the tops may not come out.
2. Make sure your eggs and all ingredients are at room temperature. Make sure your ingredients are all fresh - flour, unsalted butter etc.
3. Preheat your oven
4. Use a scoop to put the batter into the tins. I use an ice cream scoop. Just scoop once, and bring your scoop up against the side of the bowl and lift out and don't start spreading the batter around etc. Some people have said that they let the batter rest 10 minutes in the bowl before putting into the tins. You might try that although I have not had to do that.
5. Start checking the cupcakes at 18 minutes. I don't know how your oven cooks but I would start at least looking to see if they look done. Remember that they will continue to cook in the pans so don't wait until they are bone dry.

Also make sure the chocolate is melted and lukewarm as they state in the recipe.

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:06am
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone for the help.
The ones I took out of the oven this had a nice little dome, and did not sink. It's a start.

I will let yall know what happens.
THANKS AGAIN. I love this site.

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 1:26am
post #6 of 6

HOORAY icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%