What Icing Is Better To Put On The Side Of A Fondant Cake?

Decorating By katwo Updated 5 Aug 2010 , 2:42pm by BosCakes

katwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwo Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 4

Could someone tell me what is better to put on the sides of a fondant cake, Royal Icing or butter cream the color will be black icing on red fondant.
Thank you

3 replies
BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 4

I think royal on fondant is more popular, but i've piped BC on fondant before, too. Use a good quality black food color ( i like Americolorm if you can get it) so it doesnt bleed. If you want to be on the safe side, go with royal.

katwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwo Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you, I will go with the royal I just did not want it to run down, I have not been working too much with it, this is all new to me. I really appreciate the help from everyone on Cake Central.

BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 4

I like royal a lot, though just be careful when you're making it. As I'm sure you've read, everything that touches royal icing (bowl, beaters, etc.) needs to be completely grease-free. After washing everything in hot soapy water, I rub white vinegar over everything just to be sure there's no grease. Also, mix it for the right amount of time instead of taking shortcuts! Another good thing about royal (you can do this to some extent wiht bc, too) is using a lightly damp paintbrush to smooth uneven lines/joints before it's dry.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%