Cricut Cake Vs. Cricut Expression

Decorating By CanadianCakeDiva Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 4:39pm by tiggy2

CanadianCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakeDiva Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 15

Give me your inputs, which one is better. I will be purchasing one of the two this weekend, but not sure which is the better option. I dont like some of the things ive read about the cricut cake, and Im sure they will be coming out with a better/updated model in the future. Would be sticking with the expression (since im sure the kinks are worked out on it by now) be a better investment? Can you use the expression and still sell the cakes you make with it?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!!

14 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 15

You can get the expression and still use it for cakes, that's what everybody did until they came out with the cake cricut a few months ago. I'd get the expression, personally, but I might not get it at all, it's kind of more trouble than it's worth.

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 15

Expression.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 15

I got my Expression a couple weeks ago, though I haven't used it for cake purposes. I'd go ahead and get it, that way if you don't like it for cakes as well as you thought you might, you still can use it the way it was intended.

BTW, when you buy one, check out HSN. I got my Expression with 4 cartridges and a bunch of extras for like $300. You'll have to wait a week to get it, but it's definitely worth it for $200 in free supplies.

icesk8ermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icesk8ermom Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 15

Seriously???? You can use the expression to do pretty much the same thing as the cake one? Boy do I feel stupid!

cakeroach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeroach Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 15

Do you have to buy something extra for the expression to be able to use it for cakes too? Can you switch back and forth from cakes to paper? I was wondering, because I found an expression on Craigs list for $65.00 brand new in box, but I don't want it unless I can use it for both cakes and paper.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeroach

Do you have to buy something extra for the expression to be able to use it for cakes too? Can you switch back and forth from cakes to paper? I was wondering, because I found an expression on Craigs list for $65.00 brand new in box, but I don't want it unless I can use it for both cakes and paper.

pfft $65?? snag it and resell it on ebay!

cakeroach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeroach Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:45pm
post #8 of 15

does anyone know about the cricut personal? Can that be used for cakes too?

icesk8ermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icesk8ermom Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 15

WOW for $65.00 I'd buy it even if I could only use it for paper!!!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 12:10am
post #10 of 15

i really like the size that the expression can handle (12"x24"). i have one and i can't imagine trying to use a machine for anything smaller.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:58am
post #11 of 15

The inspector from the health department saw my Cricut Cake and got all flustered because it isn't NSF certified. No telling what she'd say about a Cricut Expressions with (gasp) non-food safe-rollers (horrors!) I haven't used it yet and couldn't explain how it all works and she seemed really quite unhappy, but not quite willing to tell me I can't use it. When I said that mostly gumpaste isn't actually eaten and that I tell people it doesn't taste good, she felt a little better but still was not really happy. Oh well.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:21am
post #12 of 15

From what I understand, the cricut cake is made of food safe materials, and certain parts are sealed so that gumpaste and fondant can't muck it up.

I have the cake and I like it, but I have to say it works best with the deep cut housing blade I bought to make cupcake wrappers. I finished the wrappers and did a test cut with some duff fondant, and it cut the best it ever has. So now I'm using it without the "food safe" blade, but oh well.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:43am
post #13 of 15

I was not sold on either after complaints I saw and people struggling with it on here but then I saw this.... http://www.sweetsouthernladies.com/cricut.html
now I am back to wanting one again. Don't know which one. But I want one!

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 7:11am
post #14 of 15

I use my cricut only for letters. I put the letter on cake boards. I never use the fondant from the expression on to my cake.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 4:39pm
post #15 of 15

Do the mats and blades say they are FDA approved? I don't remember seeing that on the package.........I'll have to go home and look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%