Chocolate Buttercream

Baking By heidi0609 Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 2:29am by Crazy4Bay

heidi0609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidi0609 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:34am
post #1 of 7

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has a good chocolate buttercream icing recipe that they wouldn't mind sharing! I normally make the wilton recipe for regular buttercream, and I'm happy with that one. I tried to make the chocolate buttercream that wilton has, and wasn't happy at all. The consistency was to hard and really didn't like the taste either. Any new recipes would be great!
Thanks

6 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:36am
post #2 of 7

I like the one on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa can. Really yummy!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:50am
post #3 of 7

I take my regular buttercream and then add chocolate ganache (made with Ghiradelli's chocolate) and cocoa powder to taste...a little milk if necessary for consistency.

I end up adding whatever ganache I have on hand...(room temp) and then adding cocoa the rest of the way until the flavor is the way I like it.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:00am
post #4 of 7

Toba Garretts butter cream is awesome. Besides ganache it's the only chocolate butter cream I use. I substitute cream for the chocolate liquer. And I don't add the meringue powder. The frosting still crusts. The chocolate bassinet cake in my photos is this butter cream. I also cut the recipe in half because it does make alot of frosting.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:11am
post #5 of 7

* 2 cups (1 pound or 454 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
* 1/2 cup (115 grams) vegetable shortening
* 3 lbs (1.36 kilograms) 10X confectioners' sugar
* 1 cup (110 grams) Dutch processed cocoa powder
* 3 Tbsp meringue powder
* 1 tsp salt
* 5 fl oz (150 mililiter) chocolate liqueur (i.e., Godiva or another)
* 2 Tbsp milk
* 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
* 2 cups (1 pound or 454 gram) refrigerated Ganache

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Buttercream-109248#ixzz0vb9yhpyH

I guess it would help if I posted the recipe. LOL

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:20am
post #6 of 7

I use Indydebi's bc recipe and add 6 to 8 ounces of melted unsweetened chocolate squares..cooled to room temperature. You have to add extra milk when adding chocolate because the chocolate thickens the buttercream. I usually add just a teaspoon at a time until I have the right consistency.
This makes a very rich chocolate icing and it crust just the same as the original and is just as easy to smooth with the viva.

Crazy4Bay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy4Bay Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:29am
post #7 of 7

I just tried this one last week:

[code:1:6feadbbf8f]http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16291/perfect-crusting-chocolate-buttercream[/code:1:6feadbbf8f]

(I'm not sure how to hyperlink so I hope that worked!)

Anyhow, it was the most fabulous thing I've ever tasted! It melts faster as you're using it (probably due to those 6 sticks of butter), but I just used it in stages and refrigerated it periodically while I was decorating.

Honestly, I'm thinking of diving into the leftovers with a spoon just thinking about it right now! icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%