Crystal Colors By Sugarpaste

Decorating By Monkess Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 7:45pm by TexasSugar

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:46am
post #1 of 16

Has anybody used the crystal colors by Sugarpaste for gumpaste flowers-to dust. I am told they work exactly like luster dusts and can be used in fondant as well. I just want to know before putting in a larger order, if they are as smooth etc. to dust on...and do they work the same way as luster dusts when steamed?

15 replies
jstoops08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstoops08 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 6:37am
post #2 of 16

I prefer using the Crystal Colors over regular petal dusts. The Crystal Colors doesn't have the chalky smell that petal dust has. It is kind of odorless.

You can use them just like luster dusts and they have a nice smooth application. I have dusted with it, steamed it on fondant and gum paste, used it to color royal icing, butter cream, fondant and even my French Macarons. It does cost a little more than regular dusts($5 a pop from where I order it) but I think it is worth every penny icon_smile.gif

Monkess Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 7:18am
post #3 of 16

Thanks jstoops! Thats exactly what I wanted to confirm...even at $5 I am told the quantity is almost double of what other luster dusts are i.e. 15 grams or 1/2 ounce...that actually makes them cheaper. Do you buy them online with Beth at sugarpaste. com?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 8:04am
post #4 of 16

I used to love them. They used to be the only dust I would use...until I had a problem with their customer service. From now on, I only use the petal dusts I get from Robert Fry. They are FDA approved (I don't think the luster dusts are though).

Monkess Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 9:22am
post #5 of 16

@Rylan: Its a toss up for me between the petal dusts from Sunflower sugarcraft and the crystal colors. I am most concerned about smoothness and vibrancy of the dust.

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 10:43am
post #6 of 16

I have also used to them to color white chocolate. Gives me so many possibilities besides the basic candy oil colors.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 16

I just got through using the crystal colors on parts of my ICES Convention cakes. I loved them. I've dusted with them before, but this time I used them for coloring fondant and gumpaste and royal icing.

For dusting, even for vibrant colors, a little goes a long way. When coloring fondant and such, it did take a lot more.

Their colors and dusts are FDA approved, and will work in about any icing medium you want, so that makes them very versital. Their purples do not fade in lights. Plus I've been told by Beth that you can paint with them as well, though I haven't tried that myself yet.

I started my collection a few years ago, and plan to stock up on more next weekend at the convention. I would totally say they are worth it.

Monkess Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 16

Sounds pretty foolproof to meicon_smile.gif Thanks guys!

TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 16
jstoops08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstoops08 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:19pm
post #10 of 16

I purchase mine through either www.fondantsource.com or Country Kitchen SweetArt.

Monkess Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1193367

I used one of her oranges on these roses.

That is beautiful! I ordered the saffron too! thumbs_up.gif

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 5:57pm
post #12 of 16

I use her colors 99% of the time and love them.

TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 8:38pm
post #13 of 16

Thank you! I'll be posting a picture of my convention cakes in the next day or too. I used her lime on one and then the mimosa on the other.

She has some very, very pretty colors! icon_smile.gif I've got to make my list of what I have so I know what colors to get this year. A girl can't have too many colors can she?

Monkess Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:06am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

A girl can't have too many colors can she?

My sentiments exactly! thumbs_up.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 6:57pm
post #15 of 16

Crystal colors are just about all i use.

I would just like to add that the colors are a mat finish color, if you want ones with a sheen you need to buy a pearl color. I have mixed the bright white sliver with many colors to make my own luster color.

I have never purchased through their web site, i usually buy directly from Beth when she is at the local shows. If i run out of colors in between i usually just order from global when i'm ordering other things.

TexasSugar Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 7:45pm
post #16 of 16

I posted my cakes today. I used the lime in the fondant on the green cake, as well as dusted the lime and orchid on the flowers. On the orange one the yellow is the mimosa and the darker strip of orange is the tahitian sun that I dry brushed on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%