Best Type Of Cake To Use For Stacking (Wedding Cakes)

Decorating By Lemmon Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 2:02pm by mamawrobin

Lemmon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmon Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:45am
post #1 of 3

The box mixes are pretty good when he comes to taste but with moving them around, frosting and stacking them thats another story. What type of cake and whats the recipe that would be the best to use for this? Thank you.

2 replies
tuamor1628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuamor1628 Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 3

Box Mixes can be stacked pretty well...as long as you let it sit and settle overnight, like any other stacked cake. But if you trying to go away from a stacked cake, I'd say a pound cake is your best bet.

Search through the link given. Its filled with all different types of pound/sponge cakes. Their the most durable cake.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/?s=pound+cake

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmon

The box mixes are pretty good when he comes to taste but with moving them around, frosting and stacking them thats another story. What type of cake and whats the recipe that would be the best to use for this? Thank you.

I don't really understand what you meant about box mixes. You can stack angel food cake if you have a good support system. Indydebi has made cakes for 30 years and always used cake mix "straight from the box". I usually use kakeladi's original WASC recipe (omitting the almond flavoring because I HATE almond flavoring...LOL) I just double the vanilla.
BUT....unless you're carving or sculpting a cake the "recipe" really shouldn't matter.

A straight box mix holds up fine for "moving around, frosting and stacking". Just be sure that your support system (cardboard cake circles, dowels/straws) are enough to support the weight of your cake.

Check out Indydebi's photo gallery here on cc. She uses straight from the box mix for her cakes and she has tons of stacked cakes in her photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%