Classic French Preparation??

Baking By JohnnyCakes1966 Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 5:41pm by JohnnyCakes1966

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 7:31am
post #1 of 5

Does anyone know what "classic French preparation" means when describing a cupcake? Thanks!

4 replies
taniabanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taniabanana Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 8:19am
post #2 of 5

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it may mean creaming the fat and sugar then slowly adding eggs before folding in the flour as opposed to the all in one method, which gives a more dense cake

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 5

So....it's adding the eggs to the wet before adding the dry? I've always done that. I guess I'm a French pastry chef and didn't know it. icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 5 Aug 2010 , 10:04am
post #4 of 5

I'm with the French pastry chef. There is no "classic French preparation" of cupcakes.

Small cakes in the French cuisine is more likely to be Petit Fours, not cupcakes, which are American invention.

I have seen the "classic French preparation"/cupcakes advertised. It seems to be connected to the French Vanilla Cupcake: which is just a vanilla cupcake with vanilla frosting/icing and occasionally vanilla filling. French Vanilla Cake is an American invention not French.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 5

auzzi, that's what prompted me to ask. A new cupcake shop here is advertising their vanilla cupcakes as "baked in the classic French preparation," and I was like....WHAT??? I make a French vanilla cupcake, but wouldn't advertise it as "French preparation." I tasted their "classic French preparation" vanilla cupcake and it wasn't anything different or special, so I don't think they're doing themselves any favors advertising it that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%