Cake Mix For Carved Cakes?

Decorating By tuamor1628 Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 4:17am by tuamor1628

tuamor1628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuamor1628 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:49am
post #1 of 17

Just recently I was thinking of making a carved cake....I'm wondering if I can use a cake mix?!?! Stupid question, I know, but just a thought. Please respond ASAP! thanks so much!

16 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 17

My cakes are Betty Crocker. I use it for all my carved cakes.

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 17

I make scratch cake for carved cakes.

sweettreat101 do you add anything to your cake mix to make it firmer? princess.gif

tuamor1628 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:46am
post #4 of 17

yea do you? because I recently came across a recipe that included a cake mix but added other ingredients to make it firmer so it was pliable for carving...if so can you give me measurements and ingredients please??

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:01am
post #5 of 17

I use cake mix as well for carved cakes - either Pillsbury or Betty Crocker. When my cakes come out of the oven, I press them down w/ a clean towel for leveling. This also makes the cake very dense and I've had no problem w/ carving at all. I add no additional ingredients. Good luck!

tuamor1628 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:15am
post #6 of 17

Do you carve right away or do you store and let chill? If so for how long? Sorry, but I'm still new to the whole carving cakes thing lol.

dnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnack Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:21am
post #7 of 17

heartsfire posted this recipe using a cake mix that she uses. I've made it and it is a really moist, durable cake. It will be VERY thick when you mix it but just smooth it out in the pan before you bake it.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes

cyndy40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cyndy40 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:41am
post #8 of 17

The durable cake recipe that dnack posted is excellent. I like to use it for cakes other than carved as well.

tuamor1628 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:42am
post #9 of 17

But do you know by any chance if you store and let it cool for some amount of time before you start to carve it?

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:47am
post #10 of 17

I recently had a carving cake disaster.. But on other cakes that I carved I didn't have the same problem. Sometimes its hard to get icing to stick to fluffier cakes... My icing was literally falling off the sides of my carved cake... But my icing was too thick as well so it wasn't sticking to the sides of the cake properly.. icon_razz.gif It should have been very thin.
(I have used canned icing as a beginner on carved cakes and had less trouble) Live and learn! icon_biggrin.gif I'm still new, but I make my own icing now...

In my carving cake book - it says to freeze the cake after it has cooled -

"-Cool cake completely
-Wrap cooled layers in plastic wrap very well so they don't dry out and freeze wrapped layers until they are firm (at least two hours) Or until your ready to decorate(next day, etc)
-Carve your cake frozen and return to fridge or freezer between decorating steps (crumb coat and final icing coat)

I always use a box mix for my cakes and to carve with! Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

tuamor1628 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:32am
post #11 of 17

Thank you so much! Everyone who I've asked has given me such complicated directions but these are very straight foward! Thanks again!

dnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnack Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:32am
post #12 of 17

You need to let it cool completely then ice your layers together then chill until firm.

sweettreat101 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:47am
post #13 of 17

No I don't. I don't care for dense cake and so far Betty has never failed me. I did have a little Betty Crocker recipe book that had you add extra flour etc. It was a Betty Crocker wedding cake recipe. I think I tried it once years ago but for now don't feel the need to shell out extra ingredients.

sweettreat101 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:53am
post #14 of 17

It helps if you freeze your cakes first and then thaw before carving. For the helmet cake I stacked to 9 inch round and one half soccer ball pan cake. I stack everything and then carve. No fillings etc just stack and carve. Then remove the cakes add your frosting dam filling etc. The helmet actually has two layers of vanilla mousse made with instant pudding and whipped cream. I frosted the cake with butter cream and covered with fondant. After filling and frosting your cake put it in the fridge to set up a little. This will help firm things up if you plan on covering with fondant. I refuse to use Pillsbury as they are way to moist and only good for making cupcakes in my opinion. I will also use Duncan Hines if Betty doesn't have a flavor that I need.

tuamor1628 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:29am
post #15 of 17

Okay good because the all of the one's that I have are duncan hines and I thought I'd have to go out and buy all betty crocker lol...How much cake batter is used in a 10 inch pan thats 2 inches deep? and do you know how long it bakes for?

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 3:36am
post #16 of 17

Here is a link to batter amount and cooking times!

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

tuamor1628 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 4:17am
post #17 of 17

Thanks a million!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%