Question About Kitchen Inspection In Iowa.

Business By staci73 Updated 5 Aug 2011 , 2:36pm by LANEYANDJACKSMOM

staci73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staci73 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone! I am sending in the application for a home bakery license on Monday. I talked to a lady at the Health Department about requirements and such but forgot to ask one question.

So for anyone that has had an inspection ~ will they deny you a license if you have a pet inside the home?

I have an inside dog and didn't even think to ask about that when I called with my other questions. Actually another post on here is what made me think about it.

I asked the lady about any specific requirements because I don't want to waste someone's time coming over here if I'm not going to pass. Her exact words were "All you need is a clean kitchen and you get a license.".

Any help with this would be appreciated. Thank you!!

9 replies
QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 10

According to Chapter 34.1(137D) of the Iowa food code related to the Inspection standards for Home Food Establishments:

34.1(7) All food must be protected against insects and rodents at all times. Outside doors, windows, and other openings must be fitted with screens and self-closing doors, if not otherwise protected. No dogs, cats or other pets are allowed in the room where food is prepared or stored.

I would suggest reading the attached document prior to your inspection, to make sure that you have all of the guidelines covered.

staci73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staci73 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you! The woman I talked to said she would include a packet that had all the requirements with my license application. She included a packet but it doesn't look anything like what you posted. It has requirements for a home baking business but didn't have any of the codes that your post has. I have been all over several state websites and never saw what you posted.

The woman i talked to also said I didn't even need a license unless my items needed to be refrigerated after they are baked. Now I'm wondering if I should call back and try to talk to someone else to get better info.

Thank you for replying and posting that!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 10

The lady you talked to was correct that you don't have to have a license if you don't sell perishable items.... but there is still a dollar limit to this exception

here are some more links to iowa information.

Previous post on CakeCentral
Iowa State Extention office links
This one was just updated in feb of 2010 - good overall business ideas to consider and make sure you're doing. Didn't read all the way through it but I did see some other things referenced that you could google

Iowa laws for home food business

Chapter 137D
Home food establishments

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 10

I forgot to mention, these are just the state regulations. Not sure what town/city your in, but make sure you check with your local HD that they don't have more strict regulations. I moved a couple years ago to a smaller town that is connected to a larger town and the regulations completely changed because the town i'm in now just goes by the state regs... the last town had it's own.

Oh, one other thing to consider. If you're in a residential area make sure that your city/town doesn't have any issues with customers coming to you. Town i'm in now doesn't care that i have customers pick up orders. But the last town i had to deliver everything because I couldn't have customers leave my house with product. They could come to discuss an order, but couldn't take any final product with them. (most places around me have this to keep traffic down in a residential area)

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 10

Initially I was told you couldn't have a pet on any kind in the house. Recently I was told that the pet may not enter the room you use for food prep. I'm also looking into this more seriously. So thanks to everyone for posting the regulations. It's amazing how hard it is to find some of this info!

Check also with your county about any requirements they may have. In Sioux County we need a home occupational permit too. It is a one time fee of $100 for any business located within a residence. The guy I talked to at the courthouse was very helpful. He said they need to know what supplies you use (all supplies I asked--they need to know chemicals for water treatment purposes--I ended up just listing Dawn and Cascade), how many customers per day/week (for road maintenance--is your business going to tear up the road and cause them to have to repave) and a floor plan of your home marked with which rooms are used for the business. More than a certain percentage and they consider you living in your business, not the other way around, and then it's different permit. You also need a permit if you want to put a sign up outside the house. I have a little sign that looks similar to a for sale sign that real estate people use. That is fine since it is considered temporary. I can pull it out to mow lawn, etc. You need the permit for one that is permanently landscaped into the yard.

staci73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staci73 Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 1:22am
post #7 of 10

Thank you all for all the info!! I think I will make a couple of phone calls Mon. to get more information. And I'm going to hold on to my license app until I feel that I have everything in place for an inspection.

SugarRushIowa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarRushIowa Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 10

I am just starting up a home baking business, go laid off from my job and it's probably cheaper to bake and not have to pay for daycare than find a 'real job' with the pay grades available right now.

I have a dog and a cat, so wanted to see what you found out about the pet question.

I've heard you don't have to be licensed, but if you want to have a stand at a Farmers Market or something along that line, you have to be.


sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 3:16am
post #9 of 10

I am in Iowa-not licensed. I did call awhile ago, and they said that the pet had to be in a kennel or kept out of the area where the production was going on. All those links in the prior post are good to check!

LANEYANDJACKSMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LANEYANDJACKSMOM Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 2:36pm
post #10 of 10

In Iowa does the home bakery have to be seperate from your home kitchen? I can't seem to find the answer to this question.

Quote by @%username% on %date%