Too Much Batter!

Decorating By Babypickles Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 8:38pm by Babypickles

Babypickles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babypickles Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 9

Oh my goodness I have not laughed so hard in years! I am very new to this but I have had so much fun experimenting with all the recipes I have found. I made a WASC cake this morning and the recipe said it would make two 9" squares cakes, well I don't have two square pans but I do have two 9" rounds so I figured there can't be much difference. LOL Well somehow, and I still have not stopped laughing long enough to figure it out, I ended up with two 9" round, two 8" round, and a 6"round. LOL I have plenty of cake to freeze and just about as much batter on the counter and all over my shirt (I put my apron on AFTER I poured it all over me) LOL thankfully the cake tastes heavenly! But technically I only needed one 9" round to practice my frozen buttercream transfer. I am also experimenting with that today. I am hoping it turns out right but I suppose practice will make perfect! I do not want to start baking and decorating as a profession but I am having a lot of fun. I can't thank you all enough for all the information you put in to this site and the cakes you all share are incredible!

8 replies
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 9

I am glad you got a kick out of it. Laughing is good therapy. If you used the WASC that has 2 cake mixes in it that is a lot of batter and makes way more than 1 9 inch cake. You can half that and make a smaller amount also if you only need 1 cake. Wrap the other cakes in 2 or 3 layers of saran wrap and freeze them for later. They will taste just as good and you will only have to thaw them out and start to decorate. Happy caking.

Babypickles Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:05am
post #3 of 9

Thanks! I did put some of the cakes in the freezer and can play with them later. The cake I was making for my husband turned out great for a first try and he was thrilled so mission accomplished! Oh and you are right this recipe did call for two cake mixes and I was a little skeptical but I wanted to follow the recipe. The cake is delicious, I don't think I have ever tasted one quite like it.

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:39am
post #4 of 9

A bit of advise. Don't over fill your pans. I made a recipe one day and it made a lot of batter and I thought I'll just fill the pans a little fuller. BIG mistake!!! The next thing I know smoke is rolling out of my kitchen. Talk about a mess. The batter oozed over the sides of the pan, dripped all over the oven racks and I had a pool of batter burning away in the bottom. I had to wait for the oven to cool so I could clean it and was then up until 3:00a.m. having to rebake.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:21am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babypickles

Well somehow, and I still have not stopped laughing long enough to figure it out, I ended up with two 9" round, two 8" round, and a 6"round. LOL

icon_lol.gif
This reminds me of the first time I tried the WASC recipe. I planned for two 9" rounds and figured I'd have enough left over for a 6" round to snack on. I guess my brain wasn't engaged that day, because I *know* how much one cake mix makes, and that 2 cake mixes by themselves would have given me two (two layer) 9" rounds not counting the extra stuff.
So there I was merrily mixing and pouring my batter. Those 9" pans and the 6" pan filled up with soooo much left over in the bowl.
So I filled another 6" pan.
Still so much batter.
I busted out cupcake liners. Made a couple dozen cupcakes.

We had cake coming out our ears for weeks!!

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:41am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloChellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babypickles

Well somehow, and I still have not stopped laughing long enough to figure it out, I ended up with two 9" round, two 8" round, and a 6"round. LOL

icon_lol.gif
This reminds me of the first time I tried the WASC recipe. I planned for two 9" rounds and figured I'd have enough left over for a 6" round to snack on. I guess my brain wasn't engaged that day, because I *know* how much one cake mix makes, and that 2 cake mixes by themselves would have given me two (two layer) 9" rounds not counting the extra stuff.
So there I was merrily mixing and pouring my batter. Those 9" pans and the 6" pan filled up with soooo much left over in the bowl.
So I filled another 6" pan.
Still so much batter.
I busted out cupcake liners. Made a couple dozen cupcakes.

We had cake coming out our ears for weeks!!

I believe at some point that we have all done this in our earlier years, I just done it about a month ago.

tallgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tallgood Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 3:42am
post #7 of 9

I love to try all the recipes on this site and have started experimenting too. I've found that I can quarter the WASC recipes and put the batter into 2-6" round cake pans. Works great for us since there is only two of us around here to OD on cake!

Oh, and I use postal scales to weigh the mixes.

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 9

There is always cake balls with the leftovers.. cant go wrong with those!! icon_smile.gif

Babypickles Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 8:38pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilblack

There is always cake balls with the leftovers.. cant go wrong with those!! icon_smile.gif

OH I hadn't thought of cake balls! I will have to try that recipe next.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%