Very Small Tips And Panty Hose

Baking By DsLady614 Updated 31 Jul 2010 , 3:24am by Pebbles13

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:25am
post #1 of 3

At some point in the past, I read here that someone "strains" their icing through panty hose to avoid clogging up tips. I don't remember who it was, but I must now say THANK YOU!!

I have recently started using 0 and 00 tips to do details on my cookies and found that no matter how well I thought my glace was mixed the tips would still clog up very couple minutes. Infuriating!!

So today, I decided to give the stocking a try. Found a brand new pair of stockings with sheer toe, stretched one foot over a glass, poured in the glace and squeezed it through. Sorta messy, yes, needed gloves which I fortunately had.... but TOTALLY worth the time. Did over 70 cookies without a single clog in a 0 tip!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! If anyone else has this problem... definitely try it out!

2 replies
anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 1:51am
post #2 of 3

I was in a class with Colette Peters and she recommend using panty hose too! I thought, hmm how weird?? But it totally works like a gem! I just buy the cheap-o's at the dollar store icon_surprised.gif)

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 3:24am
post #3 of 3

Hi! I first learned of the "panty hose trick" from TracyLH. She is one of my favorite cookie decorators ever and is always so helpful with tips and information. Here is a link I found explaining how to avoid the curling when using a fine tip: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6877314-.html#6877314

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%