Adding Pudding To Your Cake Mix ??? ...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 1:10pm by Tinabarena

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 10:06am
post #1 of 7

Hi Cakers!

Please humor me with my stupid question. When a cake rec. calls for a box of pudding, I assume they are not wanting me to add the pudding that has been made according to the directions on the pudding box?

I am thinking that I just add the "powder" pudding straight from the box......correct???

Thanks

Michael
=)

6 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 10:43am
post #2 of 7

Correct...just add the dry powder icon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 7

Unless you are using a Pillsbury mix which already has dry pudding in it!

I normally use Duncan Hines and I find that when I also add sour cream, I don't need an entire box of the dry pudding added. Almost gives me a gummy and too wet texture.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

Actually, I asked that very question here once, and was told that you can add it with no problems...sure enough, it worked fine for me.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

Actually, I asked that very question here once, and was told that you can add it with no problems...sure enough, it worked fine for me.

Sure you CAN do that! icon_smile.gif I just find that Pillsbury mix (the white) so moist as is. But I actually prefer the taste of DH French Vanilla so that is what I normally buy and add pudding to!

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:10pm
post #7 of 7

I have seen questions on this before, and some of the responses said that if you add the pudding to also add an extra egg. I started using the pudding/extra egg and it has worked out very well...I always stress about whether or not the cake is dry...and I haven't since I started doing this.

Chasey noted that she doesn't always use the whole box...after doing a couple cakes with the pudding, I have to agree. The texture seemed too "heavy". If I am using 1 box mix, I only add 1/2 of the pudding; 2 box mixes then the full pudding box, etc. It seems to work out very well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%