Attaching Fake Flowers To Cake

Decorating By smoothcakes75 Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 2:57am by smoothcakes75

smoothcakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoothcakes75 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I'm doing a 3 tier (stacked) wedding cake (squares 11, 8, 5 inch) and I have a cascading floral arrangement I need to attach to the cake. I will be assembling the cake at the reception hall. What is the best way to attach the flowers? Someone told me royal icing - but I can't imagine standing there holding the flowers in place while the icing dries! The flower stems are all taped together using white floral tape, so the base "branch" is almost an inch thick. Help!

4 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 5

Are these silk/plastic flowers? As for royal, it really does dry very very quickly. I used it for the flowers in my Plumeria cake and yup, it set up pretty much right away so there was no real holding of the flowers. And it HELD...all the way to the venue 150 miles away over less than wonderful roads. So,yup, royal icing will work.

smoothcakes75 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:27am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Are these silk/plastic flowers? As for royal, it really does dry very very quickly. I used it for the flowers in my Plumeria cake and yup, it set up pretty much right away so there was no real holding of the flowers. And it HELD...all the way to the venue 150 miles away over less than wonderful roads. So,yup, royal icing will work.

Thanks for responding! The flowers aren't plastic, they're probably silk or some other kind of fabric. So would you use royal icing in the same color as the fondant on the cake? Or same color as the flowers? (Cake - light peach, flowers - cream, no leaves) I guess I was imagining a huge blob of r. icing to stick the flowers to - that's why I thought it would take awhile for drying. How big of a "blob" are we talking? And I suppose you do one at the top and one at the bottom and maybe some in between? (I only have one chance to get this right. I don't want to get to the end, the cake looks great, then I mess up the flowers!)

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:52am
post #4 of 5

I would tint the RI to be close to the cake color. You didn't say if the cake is iced in fondant or BC but if fondant then no worries...if you mess it up just smooth the RI right away. Don't put the RI on the cake but rather on the flowers and then hold them to the cake. This is especially easy to do if they are in a spray rather than one at a time. Put enough RI on the flowers to act as glue..so a thin line like glue...and place it on. If they are starting at the top and cascading down then the top glue will help hold it into place while you hold the others in place as they cascade until they hold. Bending the silk spray so it's the same angle as the cake is also a good idea. See if you can get it to fold the way you want it to fold first. A stick straight spray isn't going to bend easily over your cake and it will be very hard to glue to your cake. I hope this is the type that you can bend into an arch if you need to do so.

Now if the cake is BC then this is going to be a much easier job...you can just use BC to adhere the flowers to the cake! Use a nicely crusting recipe for your BC and the flowers will stick and hold quite well.

Hope this helps!
Cat

smoothcakes75 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:57am
post #5 of 5

Thanks, that helped a lot. Yeah, it's fondant covered and my flower arrangement is curved to (hopefully) fit to the corner of the cake all the way down. So that should make it easier. Thanks so much for the advice! Royal Icing it is!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%