Chocolate Drizzle/oozing Effect

Decorating By MrsStutler Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 11:58am by bakingpw

MrsStutler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsStutler Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 6

I've been enlisted to do a wedding cake for a friends sister (you know how that goes)

The design she wants is pretty simple but I'm not sure how to do this chocolate drizzled over the top and oozing (for lack of a better adjective) down the sides. I attached a picture of it, any ideas on how to do that particular effect? I was thinking of using the shell chocolate (like what they put on ice cream).
LL

5 replies
pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 6

Chocolate ganache, at just the right consistency, poured very carefully.
It's one of my favorite cakes - chocolate cake, peanut butter filling, white buttercream, with the ganache on top.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:11am
post #3 of 6

Chocolate Ganache. There is a 5 tier wedding cake in my photos that has ganache running down the side. If you've never made it, I recommend that you make and ice a cake then make ganache and practice. It has to be warm to 'ooze' and it takes some practice to figure out how warm it needs to be. Too warm - it just runs down and pools at the bottom. Too cool - it doesn't ooze, just clumps. It's not hard, just a little practice. HTH!

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:33am
post #4 of 6

This website might help. She even has a little video showing how she does it.

http://cakesandcupboards.blogspot.com/2007/12/my-first-how-to-demonstration-drizzles.html

HTH

Judi

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 3:36am
post #5 of 6

Spread chocolate ganache and use a squeeze bottle for the drips.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 11:58am
post #6 of 6

You can achieve this look with chocolate glaze, which is easier than ganache, because it's more viscous and doesn't take "guess work" as to the perfect time to use.

For chocolate glaze: Slowly melt in the microwave : 1 1/2 pounds chocolate (I use Callebout, but you can use good quality chips) and 1 pound butter. When all is melted and smooth, add 3 Tabl. corn syrup and 1/4 cup hot water. Stir until smooth. Use this to pour when it is liquid and to pipe edges when it is cool and thick.

Now for the glazing of the cake ~ To achieve this look, after icing your cake, freeze until firm. When the above glaze is liquid but not hot, pour it onto the center of the top of the cake with a laddle. With offset spatula, push around to edge, allowing to drip down the sides. That's it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%